The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
Ron

appraisals

Where do you guys get your high buck projects appraised at?

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: appraisals

If you are in a major metro area, look in the phone book. If not, ask your ins company, talk to any classic car dealers in the area... ect.

A couple things to consider,
1. If you have reciepts..esp for engine work, bring them. Engine internals are real hard to verify from the outside, so are often not taken into account on the price.
2. If your ride is a custom, don't go to a place that specializes in 100 point restorations (assuming you have the choice) and likewise, don't take your 100 point resto to a hot rod shop.
3. The appraisal should include many many pictures. all angles, under hood under body inside cab... A picture is worth 1000 words.... or 1000 bucks.
4. A good appraisal company should come out to you, even if you are 50 or 100 miles away. (so I've read) A good one should not have a simple check sheet, instead, should make a list of every little detail, every nut and bolt almost. They should also keep an appraisal of your vehicle on file, as well as provide one for you, in a professional mannor, some sort of nice binder or even a small booklet form.
5. If your ride gets modified every winter, or every so often, see if your company of choice will offer discounted overviews annually or semi annually.

You'll pay extra, but in retrospect, (esp looking at the couple accidents posted on here last week) it'll be money well spent. If you go with a large well known company to do the appraisal, you will be more likely to get your money in case of a claim. A judge would rather hear that "barrett jackson said this vehicle was worth $15,000."...rather than, "The bank of Joe Schmo said this vehicle is worth $15,000."... it just carries more weight and every one knows (or can easily find out if) barrett jackson is an expert in the field or just some wanna be spouting his opinion. (For the record, I don't know if barrett jackson does this, but we would all bow to what ever there appraisal would be.)
I had a friend in Tx who had to go through al this AFTER the fact. His cammaro got totaled, and while not a show quality resto, it was way better than the $2500 they were offering him. He took his folder full of reciepts, about a 1/2 dozen 35mm pictures pre-accident (digi pics are do not hold up in court very often, so 35mm is the best form of evidence as far as pictures go) and a list of what had been done and what was still needed, and he was honest and mentioned what was done below par. The appraisal place did up a quick appraisal , and sent him back with papers saying it was worth approx $9500. (They low balled it since there was little proof... just pictures and an accident report and post accident pics) He got his $9500 no questions asked.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Rdub

From my experience, be careful of dealers that specialize in consignment sales. I had one low ball my appraisal, completely discounted a freshly rebuilt engine and totally rebuilt driveline assembly on my 4x4, not sure why but I think they saw it as a potential consignment and wanted to keep the price down so they could move it. It pays to spend a little time on the phone before you take your truck anywhere for an appraisal. I had much better luck at a shop that did restoration work... they know what it takes to keep these old trucks together and road worthy. Also, I completley agree with Longhorns comments on appraisals related to insurance company claims.... a huge limb blew off of a fir tree in my driveway 2 weeks ago resulting in dents in top of cab, hood, cowl, door and bedside. Got two estimates, 2450 and 2700.... adjuster called me and said they would probably total it. I told him to look in my file at the agents office for a copy of the appraised value ($7800).... he came out an looked at it while I was at work and called & said they would process the claim..... I think without the appraisal I would have lost some significant money.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Ron, if you're going to be in Portland again, try going to The Chevy Store on 87th & Stark. http://www.thechevystore.com/information/location.html
I know they appraised my Camaro years ago, they might do our trucks also. Another place to try is a collector car dealer on about 30th & SE Steele in Portland. I can't remember the name of the place but if you'd like me to check, just email me.

Btw, tell your wife that I got Airmen of the Year last month. I talked to her on a drill weekend that we shared back in September or October I think and mentioned that you and I had met a couple years ago when you had dropped her off at the base and noticed my truck.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Zonaman

You may want to be sure you use a professional appraiser- one recognized by one or more of the following groups: American Society of Appraisers (ASA), International Society of Appraisers (ISA), International Automotive Appraisers Association.

Last edited by Zonaman; 01-13-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Your bank may know who to talk to also
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Blazer1970

What do you need an appraisal for? My experience is that appraisals (on homes or vehicles) are pretty much useless when it comes to buying and selling in a real world market.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

This is probably for insurance reasons. If you look on the board you'll see several posts recently regarding people and their insurance claims.

1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This is probably for insurance reasons. If you look on the board you'll see several posts recently regarding people and their insurance claims.
Definatley. My appraisal saved my butt when I had my recent accident. Helped convince the adjuster and the insurance comapny that a '69 everyday driver can really be worth 5 figures!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Btw, tell your wife that I got Airmen of the Year last month. I talked to her on a drill weekend that we shared back in September or October I think and mentioned that you and I had met a couple years ago when you had dropped her off at the base and noticed my truck.
Hey Brad, we were just talking about you, you still want the 67 grill parts? I have a ton of parts left over from the 67 C-10 project.

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Ron

The reason for the appraisal it's a selling tool. I THINK the truck is worth $10,000 and that is what I have it listed for in "Truck Trader". It would be nice to have an appraised value to back it up. Thanks

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Hey Brad, we were just talking about you, you still want the 67 grill parts? I have a ton of parts left over from the 67 C-10 project.
Yeah, I think I do. It's been so long since I saw you that I figured they were long gone by now! I'll PM you.

2008 Husqvarna TE-610