The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Question Shaved Side Markers???

I like the 67 look (no side marker lights), and I have thought about shaving mine. However, I seem to remember issues with getting the blinkers to work correctly when I had a bad bulb in a side marker. What happens to the lights when you no longer use the side markers? Does it cause any issues with blinkers and running lights?

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Re: Shaved Side Markers???

It depends what year your truck is, my '69 has sidemarkers but they aren't connected anywhere so they only work as reflectors.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

Hey Paul. I have a 69. I bought all new wiring harnesses and it has wires for the sidemarkers.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

mmhhh, mine doesn't have any wiring going to the sidemarkers, the housing itself has the holes for the pigtails but nothing is there, I remember a discussion a while ago that some trucks come with the wiring while others dindn't, is been a while tough, I think Longhornman was involved in that discussion, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
yank

I shaved my side markers on my 70 swb fleet. I just cut the bulb fixtures off at the rear and just tide the front back. All my lights work fine. I don't think I will shave them on my next truck especially if it is a fleet side has I had to do a ton of block sanding becuase the bedsides and to fenders warped from the heat.

Go ahead chance it........Columbus did!!!

Steve (Chitlin) Bacon

My DIY Shop http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mpalmiter/shop/
yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank
I shaved my side markers on my 70 swb fleet. I just cut the bulb fixtures off at the rear and just tide the front back. All my lights work fine. I don't think I will shave them on my next truck especially if it is a fleet side has I had to do a ton of block sanding becuase the bedsides and to fenders warped from the heat.
good, i thought it was just me with the warping. on my 72 i cut the wires from where they come out of the bundle to rid any stray wires. it'll be less confusion later when i don't have to wonder about what some cut wires are for.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Some of the truck had the pig tails and some didnt...It was kind of an option. Most all of the truck did come with the same marker lenses though so some of you will have pigtails and some wont. Those of you who dont have the pig tails for the side marker lights I recomend you find some or make some....those markers look so much better illuminated!!! heck....ask this guy to sell you the ones he is cutting off!!!

Now...back to the question. On these years all your lights will work if you cut the pigtails off. It is only on the newer stuff that you will have blinker problems.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Here's the low down...
68 and 69, reflectors standard, lights optional, onless a cab-chassis with dual rear wheels...then markers standard, required by the feds.
In 70, all trucks had them front and back.

Some front ones blink, some don't. There is no rhyme or reason on the blinking ones. I've had 2 1970 Longhorns, one blinked, the other does not, both have virgin lighting harnesses.
Only the front ones will blink if at all, none of them had blinking rears.

Removing the 195 bulb will not effect the blinking.

in newer cars, side markers being burned out or missing still won't cause problems... at least, i haven't come across any yet, but most of the trucks that come through our shop are 2 years old or older, so the brand new ones may be funny like that.

HOWEVER... if your area has a state inspection, you may want to look into that. You may get sent home with no sticker if your lenses are missing. That would suck to do all that work just to have to cur them out again.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote