The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
navybear70
hometown heroes!

VIN decoding (fourth digit)

Scenario: 1969 Chevy c-10. VIN plate at driver's door gone. vent in it's place. VIN in glovebox matches frame. fourth digit is 4. I thought this just meant truck with box (could be fleet or step).
Problem: new owner is stating that 4 is stepside. Says that fourth digit would be 34 for a fleetside. Says guy down the street has a 69 fleetside and his code is CE134...etc. Model # in glovebox is all but faded BTW.
Question: Can fourth digit be TWO digits? What gives with his info??? He says that the new LMC catalog confirms his story. (I gave him my copy, so I can't confirm that myself.) Also, could that vent be from the factory?

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown

Last edited by navybear70; 01-17-2006 at 01:35 PM.
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: VIN decoding (fourth digit)

On your VIN# the thrid digit (3, 2 1) means the weight (1ton, 3/4, 1/2) the forth digit means means it is a pickup (cab and a bed).

Now althought similar in looks, your glove box also lists a Model ID which is longer and more specific. There is a code mid way through, they call it the 6th position, that describes the type, like 34 is a 04 is a stepside.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 01-17-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: VIN decoding (fourth digit)

And your whole cab has been replaced. In 71, they started with the vent, and there SHOULD be a VIN plate there in addition to that vent.
If you are looking to buy it, and it is more than a parts truck, you need to contact the DMV or whom ever and find out if this will bite you in the 12 bolt later on. In many states, that is flat out illegal.
Print out this link and show him. http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html
LMC is not the only on putting out this wrong info, most places that you'll look will give you the same info as you have, which, as stated, totally wrong. The VIN on a chevy will tell you nothing about fleet or step.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote