The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

TPI Swap Q's

Hey guys, I just picked up a TPI speed density system minus injectors, computer and wiring harness on the cheap and was wondering if you guys with experience can send me in the right direction as far as what to get and where to go for the rest of the parts to get this thing done. It is going on top of my stout 385 with 10.2:1 comp. I want to be able to tune this thing with my laptop for optimal performance and mileage. What brands of ECM's are capable of this, and are there even any aftermarket ECM's available for what I want to do. I will also need a wiring harness, what is a good brand to get? Also, is it possible to port the intake any to make it flow a bit better? I will also need some pretty beefy injectors for this thing, what do you guys recommend? I also have an MSD 6AL box already and the TPI is coming with the dist., can I use the MSD box still? I am pretty sure I can, but I just wanted to check here before I drag out every manual known to man looking for the information. Thanks for all the help. It should be here on Thursday.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Deuce

Re: TPI Swap Q's

I think you might have a little trouble with the SD set-up and your engine combo?? I did a Mass Air on a 383 and it works really well.
I used a "painless" harness and it was great.
The rest of my set-up is stock.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
junior219

painless wiring should work. for ecm, I not sure on a aftermarket ecm. a stock might work but you might have to look at sometthing like superchips for a programable prom for it
junior219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Richard

The stock computer is fine. You can contact Street and Performance to burn you a chip for it. The serpintine pulleys and TPI setup I purchased from a board member is from them. (Well the TPI was probably polished by them) They can supply you with everything you need, are a bit more than some others but provide all the info you need with a purchase.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #5
Bowtie67

You can also use the Holley Comander 950 and thier harness and program what ever in to it. The TPI unit has restrictions if this is a high output engine with a lumpy cam, The TPI unit was generally good to about 5200rpm, it makes a nice setup for a basically stock engine and wanting some good lowend tourque and thing above 5200rpm without extensive mods to runners and the base will lack.

I should also note that if you use this system now and use the Comander 950 setup you can then later if you wanted upgrade you setup to a MPI, Stealth Ram, MiniRam or possibly any other type of unit.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"

Last edited by Bowtie67; 01-16-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

My cam isn't too big. It has just under 500 lift and 110deg. Lobe seperation, a little lumpy, but nothing wild. From what I have read, th eupper RPM limitations are due to flow, and that is why I asked about porting and larger injectors. I also believe it can be converted to to MAF , but that is just what I "heard", so I am not sure. Good tip on the commander system, I will check it out. I'll give my engine builer a call and see if he can give me any advice and let me know what he can do as far as opening up the lungs on this thing.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
neonlarry

You can buy aftermarket manifolds, runners and plenum for better flow. You can port the plenum the runners don;t have much material left to port and I guess you could port the manifold. I am going to use an LT1 intake, much easier and much better flow. Check out this place: http://www.lt1intake.com/services.htm
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by my new 72
My cam isn't too big. It has just under 500 lift and 110deg. Lobe seperation, a little lumpy, but nothing wild. From what I have read, th eupper RPM limitations are due to flow, and that is why I asked about porting and larger injectors. I also believe it can be converted to to MAF , but that is just what I "heard", so I am not sure. Good tip on the commander system, I will check it out. I'll give my engine builer a call and see if he can give me any advice and let me know what he can do as far as opening up the lungs on this thing.
Its not so much as lift but more duration is the issue, 110 will work but you will be doing some tuning, 112 degrees is a little more friendlier to FI. As Neon larry mentioned about the LT1 intake is a much better performer than the old TPI unit. Even porting runners etc is still has a big fault on topend performance due mainly to its long runner legth.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

How exactly does that intake work? Does it take the place of the TPI intake, as in the throttle body, fuel rails and etc. bolt onto it and that's it?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
neonlarry

^Yes most of the TPI stuff will work with it injectors(but not fuel rail), throttle body, computer, wiring and the distributor(after the manifold in modified to accept it. Read over the link I posted it should answer most of your questions.
The LT1 manifold is good for another 1500 rpm over the stock TPI.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote