The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2002, 09:25 PM   #1
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Ignition Switch Wiring Question

I am installing an alarm on my truck and need to know what wires on the back of the ignition switch are the ACC, Start, and On wires. The start wire is the Purple one I know, but what about the other two. There appear to be atleast five back there. Anyone got any idea. The diagram on geocities doesn't have enough detail. It only say's that the go there, but not what they are for. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:36 PM   #2
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

The thick (12 ga) red wire is you +12V. The thick pink one is your ignition (on) and the thick orange one is you accessory. Also, the brown wire in the harness on the light switch is the parking lights. I had to run switches for the door cuz these trucks never had door switches. Just use a cheap pluger switch, you can get them at any auto security shop. Also, make sure oyu really hide the module, I put mine behind the dash bezel, you have to remove it to get to the module. There is no way to even see it from underneath. I went through a lot of trouble to hide it, but it's worth it when they can't find it. I also cut the starter wire back there. That way if they think they can just jump it behind the ignition switch, it won't work.

If you need any more help let me know, I used to do car stereo/security work when I was in college.

Jason
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Sweet. Thanks for the info. That should fix the problem with the remote start. I am also having trouble with the door lock feature. It just won't work. I have wired it like the manual say's, but no luck. The alarm has six wires for the locks. A pink, orange, blue green, black, and white one. It say's the blue is the unlock, the green is the lock, the pink and orange wire both tie into the "MAIN WIRE", I assume this is just the 12v in the loom going to the motors. I have it hooked up this way but no dice. Any ideas??
Old 09-16-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Youprobably need to use relays. The green and blue wires are most likely just trigger wires (-) or (+). They will only work like that if you have a keyless system already installed. Most aftermarket locks require a relay setup. What kind of alarm do you have?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

The module states that it is all self contained. I do have a MES relay in line on the dooor lock loom alreay though. I think it is something wrong with the module. I have emailed the people I got it from and am waiting for their response. It's a cheap alarm, but it has a **** load of features, that is why I got it. It is made by a company called King's Gun. I have never heard of them before, but it is the kind that has a lcd pager remote and everything else you can think of. It even rolls the windows up when you activate the alarm.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:05 PM   #6
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Sounds cool. I'm not familiar with that alarm, so I think you are better to continue the way you are going. Contact them, and make sure you have it right by their specs. Then if there is something wrong they can help you solve it.

Good luck.

jason
Old 09-17-2002, 06:58 PM   #7
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

I think the colors may be different. I have a brown, pink, red, and purple wire on the back of the ignition switch. I do not see an orange one back there. What is what. The purple is definately the starter one, but what about the rest?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:01 PM   #8
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I just PM'ed you
Old 09-17-2002, 07:02 PM   #9
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Do you have a test light? If so, check the big brown one for operation as an accesory. I can't remember what it does. Haven't been able to drive my truck for about 3 years now and I've remove the cab and all wires.