The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
EddyG

inline 6 cylinder harmonic balancer

balancer failed on 67 inline 6 cylinder 2pully. Its not like v8's as they have threaded end on crank to install. Any good methods for install? I tried to install with 3lb hammer but could not get it started. .008" interference fit.
EddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: inline 6 cylinder harmonic balancer

Best way is to drill and tap the crank snout. You will need a 7/16-20 tap, a 25/64 drill and a small block bolt & washer, which you can get at your local parts store.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

that is the "easiest" way. however, if you are just plain pigheaded like me, you can lightly tap the new HB into the hole, then get a BFH (big freakin hammer) and smack the center of the HB evenly all the way around to get it to seat. DO NOT tap the outer ring or rubber ring that separates the outer ring from the inner ring, you will damage the HB.

I did this to get mine on. I wish I woulda pulled the engine and drilled/threaded the snout as recommended. I have an entire thread on this topic from when I went through this last year, but can't find it (it's not indexed in search and the forum is going slow as dirt). I can try to dig it up if you want.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
70STOVEBOLT

Do you have to remove the radiator and/or raise the engine to remove the damper? I think the outer ring on mine has slipped. I have tried repeatedly to time the engine using a timing light and when I set it to zero, it doesn't run good at all, no power, etc. So if I rotate the distributor counterclockwise to where it runs really good, the timing mark is off the scale. Any ideas?
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

My timing mark was never on properly - and I could never figure that one out. I had the same experience as you.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-24-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT
Do you have to remove the radiator and/or raise the engine to remove the damper?
Usually. It depends on which truck/engine you have.

Quote:
I think the outer ring on mine has slipped. I have tried repeatedly to time the engine using a timing light and when I set it to zero, it doesn't run good at all, no power, etc. So if I rotate the distributor counterclockwise to where it runs really good, the timing mark is off the scale. Any ideas?
Best thing to do is put on a new balancer. Second best is to time it with a vacuum gauge. Third is to time by ear.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
Usually. It depends on which truck/engine you have.

Best thing to do is put on a new balancer. Second best is to time it with a vacuum gauge. Third is to time by ear.
But you need a puller to remove the damper, correct?
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Yeah - and you can borrow one from any local auto parts store.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
EddyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT
Do you have to remove the radiator and/or raise the engine to remove the damper? I think the outer ring on mine has slipped. I have tried repeatedly to time the engine using a timing light and when I set it to zero, it doesn't run good at all, no power, etc. So if I rotate the distributor counterclockwise to where it runs really good, the timing mark is off the scale. Any ideas?

I removed the radiator and used a wheel pully to pull it off. Not a problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
EddyG

I removed the radiator and used a wheel pulley...not a problem
Old 01-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The outer ring came off mine at speed on the highway.

My wife went to AutoZone and got me a new balancer (in stock, 52 dollars) and a puller kit. Then, she went across the street to Tractor Supply and got me a 3 lb hammer. I changed it right on the side of the road. You can pull the old one off without removing anything.

Tap it into place with the hammer and a block of wood. If you're in a shop, an air hammer will run one on as smooth as butter.