The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
montanagrizfan

Angry electric choke

I'm looking for unfo. on elctric chokes. I'm guessing that's what it is. My 85 Chevy 305 is hard to start and runs rough. Any suggestions?? I figure the choke is the next step. I've done igniton stuff etc.
montanagrizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

How is the idle when warm? Was your truck converted to manual choke?
Old 09-17-2002, 10:04 AM   #3
montanagrizfan

It runs rough and I can't get the timing to set right. Last night I hasd to push w/a buddys truck to start it. Runs ok once started it just takes a lot of juice to get her going
Old 09-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

with engine cold(before starting it for first time in a day) depress the accelerator and then let go of it, this sets the choe and step cam, the choke plate should now be shut all the way cept about an 1/8" gap(toawrds rear of carb), if not then its not set right, need to loosen the three screws around the big round black choke cover and turn it clockwise to open it more so that there is now 1/8" gap,. or counterclockise to shut it more so that there is 1/8" gap.

first though after depressing pedal when cold make sure that the cam lever between the carb body and the housing that the round black cover is mounted to is up all the way, if not then the choke coil is bad or you have binding in the linkage down there and need to lubricate it, i always use pentrating oil since WD40 just evaproates and is useless and silicone spray just gets gummy which is bad thing.
use carn cl;eaner first clean up all the linkage and moving choke parts back inbetween there. and make sure the cam lever come all the way up by itself when you open throttle with engine cold cold
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
montanagrizfan

Thanks fast. I'll give it a try and let you know
Old 09-18-2002, 07:12 AM   #6
Zkast
Account Suspended

Actually when its cold and the choke is set, you want to make sure the choke plate is completly closed. Have someone start (or try to start) the engine and watch the plate. Once the engine starts there needs to be slightly less than 1/4" of gap between the plate and the air horn, About the thickness of a pencil. If not then your choke pulloff is either not hooked up/bad/mis adjusted. This adjustment will vary depending on the climate, colder area's require less gap/more fuel.

If your choke is working properly and its still a PITA to start, double check your accelerator pump, make sure you have a good stream of fuel on every pump.

On the other hand, if the engine seems almost flooded when you finaly get it started (and the choke is opening ok) you could have the ole Q-jet leak down blues lol. The Jet well plugs on the bottom of the carb leak by nature. This causes the fuel bowl to drain into the intake, leaving a pool of fuel in the intake AND an empty fuel bowl. This makes start times high depending on how bad the plugs are leaking.

Let us know how the choke is doing then we can go from there.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote