The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Panhard verses diagonal track bar

To set the stage:
54 Chevy panel truck
Complete IFS installed
Ford 9 inch ready to install
TCI 4-link suspension kit w/ coil over shocks received. See here:
http://www.classicperform.com/Store...ks/4754RSKP.htm
Power plant will be a V8 (roughly 450HP to give an idea of the torque being applied)

The 4-link kit was to have come with a pan hard bar. In it's place, I received a diagonal track bar.

I know the difference in how they are installed but, I don't truly know what one over the other will mean to my ride. I'm not looking to take the panel to the strip (often) but...I will play occasionally. Meaning...I WILL put power to the rear every so often.

I've read several posts by a few folks that definitely know their suspensions and cause and effect. Looking for some educated answers.

Thanks in advance!
Jon
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Panhard verses diagonal track bar

diagonal track bar=panhardbar same thing different names
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Same thing even though they mount in majorly different ways?
I would think the panhard (going horizontally from the frame to mount to your differential) would be different than the diagonal track (which literally connects at an angle, back to front, between your frame rails).

But what do I know that's why I'm asking...
Thanks!

I've come back to edit this post. Feedback is starting to roll in from additional sources. I figure I'll add the comments I receive to the thread to educate others with the feedback I'm getting.

"I just had this discussion with one of the top chassis guys in my area. He says the track bar is for drag racing and will not hold up on the street. The panhard bar is much more durable."

"Jon, that diagonal track bar is best used on the dragstrip.
It doesn't handle the side loads of cornering quite as well as a 90 degree mounted panhard bar will. The panhard bar transmits the side loading to a framerail or crossmember rather than just from one the rear of a lower bar to the front of the opposite side. Heading in a straight line the ride will be about the same but overall the handling will feel a bit more stabile with the panhard bar...........and will cause alot less stress on the four link itself."
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776

Last edited by 3100 special; 01-26-2006 at 11:54 PM.
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
darcane

Send back the diagonal link, don't use it on the street.

When you go around a corner, the diagonal link or panhard bar takes all of the lateral loading on the rear end. With the diagonal link, the forces are multiplied because you have it at an angle. Assuming you have it installed at a 45 degree angle to the lower link, then it's going to have more than 40% higher loading than a panhard bar would. And the smaller that angle gets, the worse the loading is.

Last edited by darcane; 01-27-2006 at 03:03 AM.
darcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3100 special
that diagonal track bar is best used on the dragstrip.
It doesn't handle the side loads of cornering quite as well as a 90 degree mounted panhard bar will. The panhard bar transmits the side loading to a framerail or crossmember rather than just from one the rear of a lower bar to the front of the opposite side. Heading in a straight line the ride will be about the same but overall the handling will feel a bit more stabile with the panhard bar...........and will cause alot less stress on the four link itself."
This is why you want to return it, But even better than the panhard bar is a wish bone track locator, these keep the rearend much tighter than a panhard bar. With a panhard bar the rear could vary as much as a 1/2 inch, this is fin if you have ample clearence between your frame/tires/fenders, recomended side clearence is 1.5 inches on both sides of the tires.

http://www.rjracecars.com/cgi-bin/sq...=5858466.23667
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote