The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
70-Chevy
-Chris

Bleeding Brake Lines?

What order do I go in to bleed the brake lines? Isnt it the furthest from the master cylinder all the way towards the closest? Any other tips or tricks to get the job done better is welcome, Thanks guys.

BUILD THREAD - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404481

2012 F250 Super Duty P/U - intake, exhaust, tuner, 4" lift with 35's

2017 Chevy Suburban (Wifes Car)
- Fully Loaded & Stock

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
70-Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
chevybill

Re: Bleeding Brake Lines?

Everything I have read, says right rear, left rear, right front, left front.
Check www.classicperform.com for more information on brake bleeding, and I think brothers had information on their website also. Check the classic truck mags. websites also.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While I will get flamed for saying this... that is way outdated info that doesn't matter anymore.

That rule was made when there was one line coming from the master cylinder...one resivour... back in the old days... older than our trucks.

Now (and including these rigs) they have basicly 2 systems in one. The rear brakes and the circuit that feeds it... is all seperate from the front stuff. So if you bleed the front first, the rear is totally unaware of what's going on... and unefected.

Everything you read will tell you to do it the way they did it 50 years ago, and some people will stress over it and call you anidiot for not doing it that way.... but it simply doesn't matter anymore.

Here's another one... go ahead and set your battery on the cement floor. it won't go dead.

You'll be called an idiot for doing it, but it won't go dead.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
chevybill

You are right about the 2 different systems, my dad drove a 65 gmc around for years with only front brakes in the mid 80's, and that was with the single reservoir m/c.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
69TowRig

Speed Bleeders. SO worth the $$.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

You can find them in the HELP! section of the auto parts store. I have them on my front brakes now, looking to do them on the rear really soon, as well as a full set of them for my Frontier.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Plenty of cars even use a diagonal system where the front right side linked to left rear and vice versa.

I'll get flamed for this, but I bleed most all my brakes by gravity. I have for years too. I don't like the pump and squirt stuff and don't have a pressure bleeder.

I work alone, so I simply fill the reservoir and lay under the truck contemplating the meaning of life while the fluid makes it's way down and out the bleeder screw. Then, close it and go to the next wheel. It helps to tap lightly on the metal lines with your bleeder wrench while you're waiting. That tends to break up bubbles and make the fluid flow quicker.

Do all 4 wheels, then pump the pedal a few times vigorously, then repeat the bleeding procedure. Works every time, and doesn't usually take over 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-28-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Tx.... No flaming here... I do it the same way personally.
Pumping the pedal to pressurize the fluid stirs it all up and causes large bubbles to become millions of small bubbles.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
Gordo

I am in total agreement with Longhorn Man. I believe starting with 1968, vehicles were required by law to have separate systems between the rear and the front, hence two reservoirs. When I'm bleeding brakes by myself I attach a hose snuggly to a bleeder and drop the other end of the hose into the bottom of a container (usually an empty beer bottle, just happen to have one laying around ) then open the bleeder and while keeping the master full I gently operate the brake pedal down and up several times keeping the end of the hose at the bottom of the container under fluid, then snug up the bleeder and move on to the next wheel.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

A made a power brake bleeder for about $10 that sure works great - especially for people like me who usually work alone link to power bleeder
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote