The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
budbeater

Carrying Cargo While wheeling...need some info

My brother and I just spent the weekend in Southern Utah doing some fire road driving and putting his 2001 2wd 6.0 HD into places it really shouldn't have gone. It was a blast, but constantly dealing with cargo issues got me thinking....

I want to have a cargo rack for my truck, but nobody seems to make waht I have in mind. Jeeps and SUVs have their roof racks, but I can't find any good stuff for my truck. I want something that runs the length of my be and also comes over my cab (like a contractor rack) so that I can mount lights on the front of the rack. I want the floor of the rack permantent over the cab (I like the construction style of the ORD Defender baskets), but I want the option of removing the part over the bed in case I have tall cargo. I want mounting brackets for hi-lift, shovel, ax, cooler, water jug, gas cans, pull pal (all these should be lockable so that I don't have to move everything if I want to leave the vehicle out of my sight). I would combine this with a lockable toolbox for the smaller stuff. With the rack and the toolbox I could carry an ATV without a trailer.

Any ideas? Make my own and everyone else wants one? Have you made one? Problems?

Budbeater
budbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
1976K5CHALET

Re: Carrying Cargo While wheeling...need some info

I would say thats going to be a one off custom. I live in grand junction but i can't recommend a shop to build what you are after. The only person i know who does quality fab work is in glendale arizona.

Do you live near or in southern utah. Eventually i want to run some trails in southern utah besides Moab as i run the blazer down there twice a year. I hear the spaniards came thru utah a couple hundred years back....

Doug W.
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I know that Yakima made something, but can't find it. Here is a write-up on one for a Blazer: http://www.coloradok5.com/yakimareview.shtml
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
budbeater

I have done some pretty significant searching now and I can say that what I want doesn't exist on a mass produced scale. I have drawn up some schemes and I have a pretty good design going. It should take all my fab skills and make me earn some new ones, but it should be awesome when done. I am combining elements of Moab Jeep style racks with light weight tube chassis/ pre-runner strength and construction design, ie. strong everywhere and light where possible. I should be able to secure a Hi-lift jack, two 35" spares, two 5 gal water jugs, cooler, two jerry cans, pull-pal, shovel, ax, and a box for chain, tow strap, hi-lift accessories, tools, spare parts. This is all in addition to my tool box where I house a compressor, co2 tank and generator.

I priced out the steel this afternoon and the initial estimate should be about $300. I have revised the design based on what I found avaliable at the steel distributor and I would guess that I will be closer to $350 but the extra cost should save me alot of fabrication hours.

I have a hookup with a really good powdercoater, and I have access to a great chrome shop. I can also paint like crazy. This is a little premature but what do you think would look the best, powdercoat that matches my paintjob, black powder coat, the same options in paint, chrome, or a mix of chrome and color (I am thinking chrome uprights and do the basket in color.

Time to break out the mig.

Budbeater
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
bowtier
Nobody rides free

Sounds really cool man. I have thought about making something like you're talking about but just never had the ambition to do it. I'd go with the powdercoat rather than paint just for durability JMHO. I got black powdercoated rims last year & they still look like new even after all the salt & slush this winter.

Make sure to throw some pics up when you're done.
'01 Blazer - daily driver

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."
-Neil Young
bowtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Kiss My SS

Been there, done that. Well, I did it for my Jimmy. I made it for my senior project and of course go an A. I not only built the rack, I also made the bending die. The rack if made of 1/8" wall 1" square steel tubing. I wanted it to be able to handle all the things you wanted and also be able to hang my Jimmy's top from the ceiling with it. I had ideas to put an epanded steel floor on it so I could put a lawn chair up there for outdoor events. I haven't mounted it yet as life has not allowed me the time, but I am buying a house soon so I will have a place to be able to complete my various projects.
Attached Images

1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Wife's rig
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Kiss My SS

here are a couple of finished pics. I put bondo on all the welds to make them look good and painted it with a rattle can. I did let it cure in the heated paint booth at school so the paint turned out ok. I had to mount it on my exploder to get it home from college. It would actually look pretty good up there..... if the explorer had about 8 inches of lift and some 38's. I weighed it when I was finished and it cam in just under 100lbs and I think a tank could drive over it without it bending
Attached Images

1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Wife's rig
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
Prerunner1982

just remember, the more weight you put up higher, the more you increase the risk of rolling. Though i like your ideas.. We used roof racks in the military on our 2.5s and my wrecker. They always came in handy..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
budbeater

Excellent!!!

Budbeater