The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Not getting spark.

I cant seem to get a spark for the engine to fire over. I had it running and it never had a problem starting up. Tap the ignition switch over and it would start up real quick like it should. Now all that happens is it just turns over. The choke light lights up while cranking. Oil pressure gauge doesn't move so I'm not sure if its cutting the power or what. I have power going to the coil. I just replaced the cap, rotor, module, coil and a set of plugs. I didn't change the pickup coil. I think I might try and put a good non ESC distributor in to see if that is the problem or not. It gets plenty of gas, it gas fouls the plugs from not firing. It could be the timing chain loose but it started way to good before to be that I would think. I haven't pulled the plug and ground it out to see if it is sparking or not but Its hard to do that being the only person working on it. Did take a test light to see if I would light up tho when cranking it over. Had the plug wire off and the metal probe point on the inside of the boot where the metal is and the other end was ground.

Its a stock 305 in a 1986 3/4 ton.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
3qtrtontarrer

Re: Not getting spark.

pull the cap and make sur the rotor turns while cranking, if not broken timing chain.most likly module
3qtrtontarrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Not getting spark.

Okay,

First thing to do is go back to the distributor and ck to see if you have made all the proper connections to the distributor and coil it sounds like one of the coil wires is not hooked up or making proper contact. Im assuming you have the Dist. with the coil mounted in the cap.

If thats not it then reinstall all the old Ign. components and see if she will fire off.

If so then one of your new parts is bad.

Good luck!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

The distributor is an ESC controlled HEI that came stock for 305s of that era. I have good connection. I put the cap on the clipped the connector wires in and then pushed the metal terminals of the coil down in them to make really sure that they where connected well. I just bought the truck and got all the ignition tune up to make sure everything would be working okay. I got all that installed it ran okay but still missed a little but always fired right up. There wasn't any lag in it starting or anything.

I went to go get some gas and that's when it died on me. I thought okay ran out of gas. Got gas put about 4.5 gallons in it and nothing. It gets gas fine I looked in the carb with the choke open and its getting gas. Had to get it towed back to the house. Couldn't get it in the garage like I wanted tow truck driver didn't want to mess with it and it was AAA so I got stuck with it in the driveway. Its been cold and raining ever since then. Tried some starting fluid and still nothing. Pulled the #1 spark plug and it was gas fouled. That's about as far as I have gotten so far tonight.

Isn't there something that shuts the power to coil off if there isn't enough oil pressure at start up?? I thought I remember something about that.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Not getting spark.

The oil pressure thing is for fuel injected vehicles only your has a carb so it dosent apply to your truck.

You must of hit something when you were doing the tune up and then it came off/apart later.

I would stars @ the dist. and follow the wireing back to see if its disconnected somewhere.

You did say that you did not replace the coil so maybe it went south on ya try a new one and see if that helps it probably wouldn't hurt to put a new one on anyway's.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I can recheck the wiring. I did replace the coil but not the pick-up coil the part were have to disassemble the whole distributor to change out. I noticed on the distributor cap the hot wire clips into something else then that clips into the power side of the cap. So maybe that has went out.

I'm pretty sure it was Mike, swervin ervin that said something about the power cut off. I think it happened on his truck with a carb. I have a newer style carb that has a solenoid in it for cold start up so that it gets more fuel.

I have a good old style HEI with a 4 pin module that works. So I think I will install that If I cant get anywhere with the ESC one. Thought someone else might have had this type of problem before.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
confucius_Sez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
I can recheck the wiring. I did replace the coil but not the pick-up coil the part were have to disassemble the whole distributor to change out. I noticed on the distributor cap the hot wire clips into something else then that clips into the power side of the cap. So maybe that has went out.

I'm pretty sure it was Mike, swervin ervin that said something about the power cut off. I think it happened on his truck with a carb. I have a newer style carb that has a solenoid in it for cold start up so that it gets more fuel.

I have a good old style HEI with a 4 pin module that works. So I think I will install that If I cant get anywhere with the ESC one. Thought someone else might have had this type of problem before.
dude, i'm sorta in the same predicament. my deal is i went from an ESC ('86 v6) to an '84 (but using a non-esc with vac. canister on the side of the dist.) and not the SOB will not fire off!!! i just put new cap and rotor, i do get power to the dist., and the screwdriver/spark plug boot test passed. i too thought that maybe i may have to go back to the ESC due to oil pressure cutout if not sufficient. i'll do it, but i won't like it...well, yes i would cuz she'll be running....

my truck just turns and turns and turns (even though it is a new rebuild 305) and will not fire off. i dont' wanna do it too many times since it has never been broken in yet. but when it turns, it's very slow and weak, even though my battery is fully charged (per o'reilly's tester at the store)...should i need to get a bigger starter H.O. Torque? i just want it to fire off so it can get broken in and get some oil circulating.....

another thing...anyone know a good method of making a pre-oiler out of a distributor?? i just used an old one and went round and round using the rotor.

thanks, and good luck to both of us huh?@!?!

2002 Yamaha RoadStar Warrior 1700cc Indigo BLue

Moly: Valley BullDog 1/2 boxer, 1/2 bulldog, all charm.
confucius_Sez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Yeah I dunno why its doing that. Mine also starts out turning over normal then very quickly wears down to very slow then stops. This is even with a HD battery charger on boost to help it. Otherwise it just drains the battery really quickly and I still have to charge it back up.

I got my good HEI pull and installed it in the 305 but its doing the same thing. I had to stop messing with it with all the nice weather here. Its going to be way to hard to try and get it in the garage. Its sitting the wrong way in the driveway thanks to the tow truck driver. I thought my 1/2 was kinda heavy moving it by myself this 3/4 ton is even heavier and way out of the question. I'll update it as I can.

Could it be possible that it has something to do with the starter? I did see that the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure switch? are right next to each other on the same port.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
confucius_Sez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
Yeah I dunno why its doing that. Mine also starts out turning over normal then very quickly wears down to very slow then stops. This is even with a HD battery charger on boost to help it. Otherwise it just drains the battery really quickly and I still have to charge it back up.

Could it be possible that it has something to do with the starter? I did see that the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure switch? are right next to each other on the same port.
yes, thats the same symptoms on my battery and the one in my wifes SUV. and yes i too have those 2 switches (well did, they are laying on the table in the garage) guess i'll have to re-install them and maybe by hooking them up, they'll send some signal for whatever to fire off my engine. hopefully i can still use the vac. dist. i bought. i'll be back later on this afternoon. joey.

2002 Yamaha RoadStar Warrior 1700cc Indigo BLue

Moly: Valley BullDog 1/2 boxer, 1/2 bulldog, all charm.
confucius_Sez is offline   Reply With Quote