The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
69TowRig

Fixing saggy rear w/coil over shocks?

I have read up on the zero-rates, seen add-a-leafs, etc. My dad put a set of coil-over shocks on his '88 Suburban for towing, and his '99 Silverado also has a set for towing.

I'm looking to get the rear up, just a tad, over the stock saggy butt. I will be towing with this thing in the future, but I don't want the rear up too much higher than the front.

Anyone tried these? I found Gabriel makes an application for these trucks (P/N 43093) and am debating on going this route. They say it adds ~500lbs of weight capacity.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Jimmy72custom

Re: Fixing saggy rear w/coil over shocks?

I used coil over shocks on a Jeep Pu, I did not feel that it helped to much. I used air shocks on a 67 Impala I had, and they worked well for height adjustment and towing a small 6X8 utility trailer. Air Bags are the way to go. I have a couple of friends that tow RV trailers and are happy with the air bag set up.
My two cents.
Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
vtblazer

I've heard stories about the shock mounts ripping off when trying to go that route.
Not a great idea. IMO.
Puts all your load weight on your shock mounts.

I'd do it right for safety's sake, go with a set of heavy duty springs/leafs.
You'll also want to install a set of shocks designed for that application.

I installed a set of 3/4 coils under a 71 1/2 ton and found out that the shocks weren't able to handle the rebound of the stronger springs, installed a set of 3/4 ton shocks and problem solved!

What is your current set up? Coils or leafs?

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-12-2005 at 08:43 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer

What is your current set up? Coils or leafs?

Judging by his pic's in his siggy, leafs, and probably the OE set
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
Judging by his pic's in his siggy, leafs, and probably the OE set

True enough but maybe that's not the one he's towing with.

If it is the blazer in the pics that will be towing then I'd say DEFINETLY install a new set of springs w/heavy duty shocks first. JMO.

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-12-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer
True enough but maybe that's not the one he's towing with.

If it is the blazer in the pics that will be towing then I'd say DEFINETLY install a new set of springs w/heavy duty shocks first. JMO.

Agreeeeeeed
Old 11-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
69TowRig

When y'all say "new" do you mean new or used 3/4 springs? If NEW, where would be the best place to buy those? Strangely LMC lists the same rear spring P/N for K5, K10 and K20? They are horrifically expensive from them anyway, I can go custom for hundreds cheaper.

Anyone know how much it would lift the rear end up?

Yes I will be towing with the K5 in the future, I have a 21' boat and a Nissan that likes to get duuurty.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig
When y'all say "new" do you mean new or used 3/4 springs?
Sure, used 3/4 ton's would be fine.

Lots and lots of venders sell spring packs.

Last set I got were from ORD.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/

Heres a whole page of links for ya.
http://coloradok5.com/links.shtml

Last edited by vtblazer; 11-12-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
vtblazer

Any updates or progress here?

What'd you end up doing?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
qksilver

The 3/4 will work great when you are towing, maybe not so great when you are not. Using and air bad setup gives you the 1/2 ride when not towing and keeps the rear up when you are. I have a set on my long horn and they work great.
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
69TowRig

I have not done anything with it yet. I have posted responses on some 3/4 suspension parts over on the parts board but the owners don't want to part their stuff out yet.

I still don't have tags on my Blazer and there's so many other things left to take care of in the mean time.

As for the "shock mount issue", I forgot to mention that I have access to all the steel and welding equipment I need to beef those things up for the shocks if I went that route.

I would think that air bags would not ride any better than 3/4 springs, after all if I pump up the air bags to get the height out of the rear then I am effectively increasing the spring rate of the suspension anyway. The Blazer is a truck and therefore it's okay for it to ride like one.

I put custom Alcan spring packs on my Nissan 1-1/2 years ago, but they cost $460 to my door and I was looking for a solution that is a bit less expensive than that.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
69TowRig

Well I bought the Gabriel Coil-Overs the other day and put them on yesterday. They delivered the effect I wanted, the rear is just *slightly* higher than the front. Since I went from DEAD shocks to these I can say that the ride is much more controlled, but I also put 32x11.50R15 MT/Rs on it last Sunday and have put more miles on the truck in the last week than I had the entire first year I owned it.

I wished I had measured it out before I put the shocks on, I didn't think about it. I might go back and pop them off to see how much height I lose.

Last edited by 69TowRig; 01-28-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Looks good, how pricey are those? I like the coilover look
Old 01-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
Looks good, how pricey are those? I like the coilover look
Believe it or not, $50 for the pair. Autozone can order them.

Last edited by 69TowRig; 01-28-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

Yes I will be towing with the K5 in the future, I have a 21' boat and a Nissan that likes to get duuurty

this is just advice from an experience i had while using my k5 to tow, be careful and avoid windy days. the short wheelbase is very unstable with a trailer. i was towing my 462 ranger bass boat back from lake havasu when wind started my rig swinging side to side. by the time i regained control the boat had pulled my k5 across the double yellow line from the rear. i was driving the blazer like it was the 3/4 ton suburban i normally tow with.

i added a set of helper springs from summit to correct the saggy suburban rear, and i was very satisfied.
13lazer
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #16
69TowRig

Good advice for sure. I was planning on a sway-control device as well. Watching my dad tow travel-trailers during my childhood showed me the importance of having those. I am sure towing with the Blazer will be different than towing with my Frontier, since my Frontier is heavier and has a longer wheelbase.

Due to finding out serious issues with the Blazer's engine, she won't be towing until she gets a heart transplant.