The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Opper77
Ob-Gyn Kenobi

Add to my list:

So I'm using my tax return this year to overhaul the suspension on the '85 this month, and I just wana run this by anybody that cares. The truck is original suspension-wise so keep that in mind when reading.

I'm going to buy:

-3" Belltech Drop Spindles
-5" Shackles for the rear
-All new Shocks (brand yet undetermined)
-Complete Energy Suspension Bushing Kit (c/w body mounts, leaf spring bushings, control arm bushings, sway bar busings, tie-rod boots, tranny mount)
-new ball joints
-front sway bar (truck is minus at present)
-inner and outer tie rods and sleeves

Of course if I come across anything else that is pooched, it'll get done, but as far as above is there anything important I've missed??? I want this thing to handle good after I'm done to get my interest back up enough to keep working at it.

Thanks!

I used to have a firm handle on life....then it broke off.
Opper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Re: Add to my list:

Now I could be wrong......but I don't think anyone makes 5" drop shackles for the rear. If by some chance they do, I wouldn't buy them. I would either do a flip kit, which will get you about 5-6" drop, or do a drop shackle/hanger combo which will get you about 4" of drop. If you were to somehow find 5" drop shackles and install them, it would destroy your pinion angle. On the shocks, it depends on how you want your truck to ride. If you don't mind it riding a little on the stiff side, I'd get Doetsch Techs. They are inexpensive, ride nice and tight, and last a long time. A lot of guys are running them and are very happy. As far as everything else on your list, it sounds like you have it all pretty much dialed in as far as parts. Might want to also consider a rear sway bar.