The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

Rear Reverse Leaf Overload Springs?? Factory or Not???

hey guys, upon installing some drop coils on the rear of the 72 burb i just picked up, i noticed a reverse overload rear leaf spring on the rear of my burb. it appears to be factory, but i dont know?? ive not seen one before, just wondering if this is a factory option or an aftermarket piece? im gonna yank it off, cuz i dont need it, but im just wondering if i should keep (if its rare), sell(if its worth something) or toss in the dumpster(if its worthless)?? i threw in a pic of that gas tank that i swore was plastic but looked factory as well. also a pic of what looks like an attempt at some cheesy home made lowering blocks, the funny thing is they are in the wrong place?? could they be home made shock relocaters??? haha. anyways, i dont know if i got something rare here or another case of backyard engineering?? any input is greatly appreciated.

milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Rear Reverse Leaf Overload Springs?? Factory or Not???

Those are factory. I'd clean em up and throw them up on eBay. Mine had them too, but I don't think they were that common. My leafs were already missing when I bought it, but the mounting hardware is still there.

Maybe the blocks were in the right place and they decided to put it back to stock height and just put them there because they had tossed the stock U-Bolts?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

hey frizzle thanks for the info. ive had quite a few of these trucks and this is the first time ive seen this particular set up, so i didnt know what to think. im gonna be yankin the parts tonight or possibly tomorrow, didnt know if theyd be worth something to anyone else, i might just try ebay. i need to wait for the spindles and front springs to come in for this burb and ognna just make blocks for the rear to get a 4/6. i should be workin on some of my other projects (any acdillac fans out there might appreciate this, i included a pic of my 67 caddy coupe im trying to finish up for summer. im a caddy/buick fanatic.)by the way frizzle what is the drop combo on your 69 burb? i love that thing, i bought one almost just like it a few months back.

67 caddy:

69 burb:

milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
lutherb69

That Caddy is sick once I get my 68 burban done then looking for an old school car.
lutherb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Frizzle Fry

If you can tell me how high the bumpers sit stock, I can tell you how low mine is I don't know my exact drop because I have 2.5" drop spindles and cut SB springs with a BB396 up front, and 2.5+" blocks and sagging springs out back. 4/5, 5/6??? The KYBs and front/rear sway bars make up for the less-than-optimal springs. I'd like to know the height myself.

That caddy will be a nice cruiser. Is it a 500?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
jku72

67 cad had a 429?

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Brewski*

I would like to see if those springs would fit my 68 4x4 burb. Not shure that they would help with the windy roads but might keep the back end from shifting. Let me know if you want to send them my way. I will be glad to pay you something for them.
Brew
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski*
I would like to see if those springs would fit my 68 4x4 burb. Not shure that they would help with the windy roads but might keep the back end from shifting. Let me know if you want to send them my way. I will be glad to pay you something for them.
Brew
Sounds like you need a rear sway bar.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Brewski*

I got a Helwig for the front and it made a world of difference. But, I live on a road that is 5 miles long with not single straight away an some serious hair pins. I have a little sway in the back still but nothing like before. Helwig does not offer a sway for the rear of the burbs due to the gas tank. (so I was told by the guy on the phone)
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Frizzle Fry

Don't want to hijack this thread so check this one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=178261