The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Firearmfiend

4X4 swap: various questions

So here it goes!

First the background:

I have a '70 C-10 that I'm converting to 4wd. Don't try and talk me into a frame
swap or anything like that, please! The rear has a 12-bolt w/ leafs that came from the factory so I don't need to worry about that.

I have aquired over the last few years a front Dana 44 and a Rockwell 221 divorced t-case from a '66 K-10 and an SM-420 from another truck. Lucky for me the ratio on the Dana matches my rear axle according to the tag on the cover. I also have a high hump tunnel cover I aquired because the truck now has a 3-speed.

I also know I might need a 4wd steering box.

The questions:

Is the frame width on a '66 close enough to my '70 so I don't have to relocate the spring perches on the axle?

Is there a way to identify the axle any further? There are no stamps on the tubes, just a few numbers cast into the center-section.

Might I fab up a cross-over steering set-up using some of my 2wd steering components or is this a pipe dream?

Should I maybe do a twin stick shifter on the Rockwell or will this work for this t-case?

Anything else you can think of, too, would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
1967k30

Re: 4X4 swap: various questions

I saw a 71 402bbc truck someone had converted.It looked easy to me.They just cut some holes in the frame for the rear spring hangers and bolted them in place.For the the front hangers it appeared they just bolted them on in the stock 4x4 location.The e-brake cable has to be re-routed.Personally I'd get married t-case like a 205.I'm not fond of the Rockwell t-case. I have a married one and it shifts kinda weird. Is your D44 a disc brake setup? I'd assume not from a 66' but never know if someone has done some swapping.
67 K10 in many pieces
Little Brothers truck
67 K20 Cummins 12V/NV4500/205,
D60/Eaton w/ Detroit,37" Xterrains,crossover steering,
Future plans,Twins and lots of fuel.
1967k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
GMCMAX

I dunno,
I converted my 68 GMC to 4X4 without swapping the frame. I used parts from a 70 blazer for a donor. I learned a lot about frame differences. I was lucky when I bought the parts that I got most every thing I needed from the blazer like the front crossmember and motor stands. I had to flatten out the big dimples in the front of the frame where the brake or e-brake line comes through (it was two years ago). I also had to notch the front radiator support mount to clear the power steering box I got. Had to refab the front bumper brace to clear also. Made up a rear drive line and brake tubing for the front. The rear end spring hangers are shorter, and I had to put 4" blocks in the rear to get it level with the stock blazer front suspension.
I did it over a two week Christmas vacation; It was a lot of inspiration, perspiration, and fabrication, but I like it.

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Firearmfiend

No disks... It's a closed knuckle, drum brake set-up... can't afford new front-end for a while... I like the divorced set-up so I can get equal driveshaft lengths front and rear

GMCMAX: awesome! did your rear start as leaf-sprung or did you convert from coils? Were you able to bolt on the front hangers or did you have to locate them then drill?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
GMCMAX

Firearmfiend,
the rear was leaf already. The front front hangers are riveted to the core support mounts on 4X4, I knocked off the 2wd core mounts and bolted the 4X4 spring hanger/core mounts in. From there just measured the spring length and set the rear mounts accordingly. My bellhousing bolted to the crossmember underneath it, but the crossmember interfered with the front spring mounts,so I had to remove the crossmember. The t/case and trans have a mount under them to the crossmember I installed there, so that's what now holds the rear up. Rivets are a pain to remove, but after nicking the frame with the torch, I drilled through them with a small bit, then took a larger 3/8"? bit and drilled to cut the head off then used an air punch to knock the other part out.

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Firearmfiend

Cool! Thank you much!