The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
C-10volvo

what would you do??

a month ago i got my manual transmission serviced by Russ Chevrolet on my 2000 cavalier. however today as i was on my trip home from campus, i head a "rock" hit the undercarriage of my car. i didn’t really think anything of it until a light white smoke trailed my car. i pulled over to inspect if anything was wrong and see a steady stream of red gear oil pouring out of my transmission. i immediately got back into the car and limped two blocks to my house.
at first i thought that "rock" may of cracked my transmission case but after further inspection, my drain plug was missing... infuriated i called the dealership and explain my position and what THEY should do about it. they offered to pay for the plug and oil to get it over to the dealership (i live in Corvallis Oregon, about 70 miles from Tigard where i got it serviced). they said they would cover the bill for anything else wrong.
however they want it checked it out at their dealership. this to me sounded sketchy. what are my options? has anyone else been in this position?
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
beaterC10

Re: what would you do??

Actually that doesn't sound too far out of line. They want to look at it so they can warranty the work they performed.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
gentry69

id take it to them or tell them u dont want to drive it and tell them to send a truck to pick it up
gentry69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

I would tell them to tow it to their dealership. After the tranny lost its fluid (which it most likely did before it started smoking!) damage must have occurred. Even if you fill it up and drive it there with a new plug, it will only get worse. They want to look at it there so that they don't have to argue with you when someone else tells you the bearings are all toast.

You don't really have a choice of letting them look at it if you want them to pay for any repairs, but I'd make sure they tow it, and then tell them you want proof that the bearings aren't shot or a written warranty that they will fix the tranny if it fails in the next xxx miles...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
C-10volvo

thanks for you guys input! i have AAA plus so towing is not a biggie. thanks again, ken

also, the drain plug fell out only about four blocks away from home. oil was still draining out at a steady flow as it was parked in my driveway. hopefully my bearings arnt shot
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3

Last edited by C-10volvo; 02-08-2006 at 10:39 PM.
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
marvxyz1

Simililar thing happened with my Dodge van. Got an oil change at a oil change franchise. Got home okay. Notice some oil dripping from my motor. Two days later I caught the problem. Plug was ready to come out. I believe it was finger tightened loosely. I believe it was sabotauge. (Probably for driving a Dodge) Just kidding....
marvxyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
SanitysBane

That is normal for the dealership to ask for you send the car back, that way the mechanic that did the work gets to do it again for free, if its under warinty, versus having to pay another dealership do the work. Atleast thats how it works at the dealership I work at. Sorta like if you get a bad paint job, you send it back to the same shop, and not the one that is down the street.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:30 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I would tell them just to swap it out again for a different one. To make sure of this make a mark somewhere on the tranny where only you know where it's at and they won't see it obviously. Take pics of this and have a witness there or even better take a video of it. Then if they say they replaced the tranny shell and all you can look for the marks. If they didn't you have the proof.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote