The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

It's time for our weekly edition of "What did you get done"? Since there are a few new people in the forum recently I'll take a minute to explain things.

This is something I try to do each week on Sunday evening. It's a chance to report what you did through. It's supposed to be used as encouragement to work on your truck if it needs it, that way you have something to report.

If you don't have anything truck related to report, that's cool too. We like hearing what everyone is up to. We also encourage posting pics if yuou have them because we all love pics.

I worked this weekend so I didn't do much around the house. I spent most of Saturday at my daughters volleyball tournament. I'm proud to report they won!

I updated my article too, so check it out- 77 Cheyenne meets Ramjet 350 by N2TRUX

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
82c10
needin' money

Re: What did you get done?

well, pulled the headliner out last week, and started tearing down the motor i used to have in the truck, decided i might rebuild the transmission myself, instead of having my teacher rebuild it,other than that went to the new local wal-mart again this sunday, like i have since it opened a few weeks ago
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Friday, I took my son's S-10 to the transmission shop to have it serviced.
Saturday, I worked a little on the 68 and visited with bagged74 as he helped us move cars and install an Olds rear end.....
Sunday, took the wife house shopping.....AGAIN!

Last edited by n2billet; 10-29-2006 at 10:28 PM.
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
SlickSierra77
SlickSierra

I finally got around to shaving my drip rails . Fortunately there are no leaks and it looks awesome .
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Army_Dude

Ran all new grounds and positive cables on battery. New alternator belt. Put the bottom pieces on the door panels.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet
Friday, I took my son's S-10 to the transmission shop to have it serviced.
Saturday, I worked a little on the 68 and visited with bagged74 as he helped us move cars and install an Olds rear end.....
Sunday, took the wife house shopping.....AGAIN!
Does that mean he decided to keep it? Too bad he has the lifted truck bug, cause that's a sweet S-10.

So you put Tracey to work at the shop. That will teach him to come around on Saturday.

You know, if you would just buy her a new house you wouldn't have to shop any more.....

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-12-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quality time w/the GF on Saturday. I work some extra hours now & then so I figure I needed to hang out w/her for a bit.... (ok, the car show is next weekend so I'm earning credit ).

Today I planned to work on my beater 68 but figured I better change the oil in her car since it was about time & my typical MO is to get so involved in other projects that it gets put on the back burner. See . . .... I'm getting smarter @ this.....

After I got the car off the ground & was draining the oil I noticed a bunch of peeling paint under the batt tray. I replaced the batt cables in my buddies 00 Camaro about 6months ago because the laeky OEM batt corroded everything baaaaad & it was a pain in the a$$. The cables are routed in & around a bunch of crap & it's a pain to get your hands in there. Sure enough, the batt was leaking & just started corroding things. I was able to soak the cable ends & general area w/some baking soda to neutralize the acid & save the cables.

I went up & got the Mobil 1, a filter & a yellow-top Optima to replace the leaking OEM batt. After some scrubbing & several passes on the cable ends w/a wire wheel on the cordless drill, I got the electrical system hooked back up & now have no more acid eating away @ everything.

Unfortunately..... after cleaning everything up from working on her car, I ran out of daylight & didn't get anything done on mine. I guess it's better than her being pisssed off this week (valentines: no jewlery but hey, your car is fixed ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Does that mean he decided to keep it? Too bad he has the lifted truck bug, cause that's a sweet S-10.

So you put Tracey to work at the shop. That will teach him to come around on Saturday.

You know, if you would just buy her a new house you wouldn't have to shop any more.....
At the prices that the builder quoted me today all that ran though my head was: I've got to sell the 68, the 84, the Rambler and sell my blood every two weeks to make this happen. Then God showed me some mercy, she didn't like any of the lots in this Phase, so I get to wait for Phase III or something before I get to start the process all over again!
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
....You know, if you would just buy her a new house you wouldn't have to shop any more.....
Ouch!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i messed with my timing, and the idle speed, and cleaned my k&n filter
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

The truck was running rich and eating even more of a hole into my wallet so I readjusted the carb's floats. One was letting way too much fuel in. Easy fix. After that I'm getting ready for a garage sale and collecting parts from storage and garage for a sale on here.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I was in the Dallas area this weekend, so I made a trip over to Stoked Out Specialties. Keith and the guys were nice enough to let me hang out and pester them all day. I even managed to get my hands dirty .
They had lots of cool cars to look at and one POS 77 cheyenne .
I had a good time and got to see lots of cool stuff.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #13
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

I helped my buddy install a supercharger on his 2004 Silverado SS. It was a complete bolt on system by ATI Procharger. Not like his dang truck needed a supercharger the factory .0 liter hauls a$$ as it is. After we got it all installed we took it for a run we werent to pleased sputtering @ around 4K Rpm. We double checked the system found out the high flow fuel pump wasnt working, fixed that. took it for a second run and nearly crapped my pants. Were taking it to get dynoed on wednesday. were guessing at least 550 to the wheels.
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 AM   #14
1987 Shortwide

I think I might have conned... err HIRED someone to sanblast the bottom of my cab and all my jambs on the cab. I offered my 11 yr old nephew who wants to get into working on cars 100$ to sandblast for me for the day (I'm horrible, I know).

I worked on my brother in law's Lightning (hey at least it's fast)

Also spent a little time welding up some dash holes in my truck.

Finally, I installed a GMM ripshift in my dad's '04 GTO, and it's a night and day improvement over the stock shifter.
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:58 AM   #15
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I'm in the process of giving a tired out 305 a chance at life again. Need to install a fuel pump, replace the timing chain, reinstall the distributor and an oil change. Then on my pull the th400 and get it ready for a th375 if I get it. The convertor in the th400 isn't doing so well. I don't want to take a chance on it killing the transmission with it although it might have already.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 AM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

Got my 77 back on the road with the 700r4. Seems to be holding up ok, for now anyways.

700r4 has some of the most positive shifts I've ever felt from one of those transmissions. No doubt it has a shift kit OD is dang nice too -- Cruising at 50 mph, the thing is absolutely silent, doesn't lug at all. 75 mph it is real happy too! Put it into D, and a guy feels like the engine is revving so high it's about to blow up, lol

If it lasts this next week without burning up due to the fresh fluid, then I think it'll be ok!

Only issues I've got with it is that the converter unlocks too easy, but thats due to the stock vac switch on it, and that the transmission doesn't shift quick enough when you are taking it very easy. Thinking that is simply a TV issue though. I'll get it figured out tommorow
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #17
cutter61

brought the front end down to the spindles,cleaned everything up,greased all fittings,painted new dust shields,packed all bearings,new calipers and pads then it started snowing like a....-couple days later shovelled out and took the bed off-snow makes a good cushion when you throw a rusty bed around-neighbors didn't even hear me-they didn't like it though when i got the grinder out to clean the frame a little-rust dust on all their pretty snow-i need a garage or spring to spring-good thread,my 3rd post-cool forum,nice machines-g'day

Last edited by cutter61; 02-13-2006 at 05:46 AM.
cutter61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
Jim85IROC

Not much. I spent all saturday moving furniture, and sunday was girlfriend time.

I did get some headliner material last week for the truck, but the red hue is too purple for my tastes, so I guess I'll be putting it on Ebay and finding material somewhere else.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Izzy
Trucker.

Picked up a paintable rear bumper for my Tahoe.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy
Picked up a paintable rear bumper for my Tahoe.
That's it? You didn't rake another 20 bags of leaves? Slacker....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #21
Prerunner1982

sat we went to watch wifes bro and sis-in-law run a 5k race, called the frigit 5K, sure enough, it was in the 30s.. sat afternoon helped wife work at the church nursery that she works for.. after that we went to Monster trucks that i scored freek tickets for from work. Wasnt too impressed with the trucks, the free style was good.. had more fun watching the tough truck mud dras.. there were 20-22 competitors, and i would say atleast 8 of them were 73-87.. the winner was a 88-98 chevy on rockwells.. the coolest truck i saw was a 60-70s crew cab dodge with step side bed running military XML(??) tires, something like 49+" tall, he didnt even have to gun it too much, pretty much walked through the mud.. there were some trucks with 40"s getting stuck. At the end, the announcer was like you have seen all the amatuers now we have a pro thats going to show you how its done.. pro car and everything, in the easiest lane (where all the winners came from) he got stuck, infact a new STOCK z71 with stock tires, made it farther than the pro guy.. it ran late.. didnt get home until midnight..

sunday, worked 12+ hrs, and my store got inspected.. was kinda worried, but we walked away with a 91%, so our store gets a $100 for passing that will be used for a power washer, and i may get a paid vacation day out of it.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #22
Izzy
Trucker.

Quote:
That's it? You didn't rake another 20 bags of leaves? Slacker....
No but I do have another 10 or so to bag up, I've been on a "raking hiatus."

Last edited by Izzy; 02-13-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #23
Ric83

Not much other than work all weekend, but just picked up some 20" wheels and tires for my '03 this a.m. for $400. Finally something good happens to me.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #24
77 SWB

Won NOS front bumper on E-bay and went over to the Chicago Auto show.
77 SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #25
Lynx

Made the 5 hour trip down to where I got my truck stored. Looked at her for awhile and started planning (more so) what I am going to start with in the summer. First step is build the garage haha! Also looked at the garage site. Went partying with the boys and just had a good time getting away!

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote