The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Stock TH-350 kickdown bracket

Like the title says I'm trying to figure out how the stock TH-350 kickdown(up by carb) was attached to a 70s 350 V8...what kind of bracket was used and where were the bolt down point?

Pictures would be awesome!

I'm getting a new carb and manifold for my truck and I after closely inspecting the bracket I have for my truck I noticed it is not attached at both points and it almost looks like the place that it's supposed to bolt to is the very back right manifold bolt. That bolt also appears to be missing(I was looking at it just now with a flashlight in the pitch black...can't tell).
Here is an older picture I just dug up on my comp, I'll try to get better ones tomorrow.

Notice in the center of the pic...that tab with the hole in it is the side of the bracket that is not attached.

This photo shows were 1 of the 2 bolt down holes for the bracket is attached.

Are they supposed to both be bolted on with the intake manifold bolts? If so are the intake manifold bolts long enough and for that to work?

How does this work?

I really appreciate all of your guys help!

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 02-10-2006 at 03:31 AM.
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
russellmarling

Re: Stock TH-350 kickdown bracket

In my limited experience with automatics the bracket uses both points to attach it. The factory intake bolts can be used, just torque them to factory specs. Good luck.
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Your bracket looks like a later year bracket. I am attaching a picture of the bracket as came on our trucks. It uses the last two bolts on the driver's side and since the bracket has slotted holes, it is only necessary to loosen the manifold bolts a lttle to attach the bracket. Your existing manifold bolts will be long enough.

Attached also, is a picture of the carb and linkage.

Jim
Attached Images

JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
matthufham

ok i'm finally going to ask this. what's a kickdown? i have a 72 350 4bbl with a th350 and have not seen a kickdown anything for it. my carb has the part on the throttle linkage like the above pic has, but i was going to use it for my return spring coming from the back of the carb. i need some more info on this now.
Attached Images

Last edited by matthufham; 02-12-2006 at 09:59 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
ok i'm finally going to ask this. what's a kickdown? i have a 72 350 4bbl with a th350 and have not seen a kickdown anything for it. my carb has the part on the throttle linkage like the above pic has, but i was going to use it for my return spring coming from the back of the carb. i need some more info on this now.
The Kickdown cable or tv cable is a mechanical cable that pulls your transmission down to the next gear at WOT. If you hammering down the pavement in 3rd gear and you bend that throttle as far as you can it will pull the transmission into 2nd.

If you're in 2nd and hammer it you'll end up in first.

From your pictures you ain't got one hooked up.

What I have found is GM made ONE and only one kickdown cable for th350s. The only difference is the bracket in question in this thread. The 2bbl has one bracket, the 4bbl another.

In other words a bracket off a 4bbl car will work on your 4bbl truck. The 2bbl bracket off my Monte worked on my truck until I put a 4bbl on there.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
RICHARD MORGAN

Jim,
Is that a holley carb? how to you coonect the kickdown to the carb, nut and bolt? or do you need something special?
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
matthufham

so not having a kickdown simply keeps me in whatever gear i'm in at all throttle position. but will it shift at all? i don't remember it having a kickdown when i removed the drivetrain from the truck, the p/o was drag racing this truck for awhile so he modified the choke, distributor, and might of gotten rid of this if possible.i have a shift solenoid or something vacuum operated on the tranny.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
matthufham

ok so i got pics now.

definition from the manual

looks similar, but i have no cable.

interesting. is it blocked?

this looks like a vent

vacuum from somewhere will be needed.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While this pic is correct, you'll want to place washers on there to get acurate torque readings, and to keep from messing up the bracket.

Your tranny will shift on it's own, both up and down.
you will not have the kick down feature.
Also, when you floor it from a stand still, you'll only get up to about 300 - 3500 RPM in fist, and you'll only stay in 3rd for a couple moments before it goes the 3rd.

The kick down cable (very simalar to a TV cable in function, but twoseperate things) not only kicks the tranny into alower gear, but it'll hold that gear untill the govenor makes it upshift. Without it, the tranny will shift on it's own at it's own predetermined shift points, regardless of where the throttle is.
Hooking up the kick down makes things seem much better, and feels quite a bit faster, but, it is not needed.
*NOTE*
This does NOT aply to any 4 speed auto... leaving that cable (TV cable) disconnected will make your tranny act stupid, and will kill the tranny in short order.

Here is a blurry shot on how I had mine hooked up on a small block with a performer intake. This was on a 69 with the throttle rod, and the kick down bracket... I have no clue what it came off of. I remember cutting off a piece that had another hole for an accelerator cable... so I KNOW it was not original.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that is the bottom portion of the cable. The end is probably sealed with sillicone to prevent it from squirting oil. Some what of a common 'fix' when the cables get mangled.

This is in fact a vent, make sure is is not clogged with paint or crap, and aim it down if you can. If you expect to be fording in water, attach a section of hose looped up a little, then down lower than the bottom of the vent pipe.

This is the modulator, it controls when the tranny will upshift. With no vacume line hooked up, it won't upshift untill about 5500 RPM or so, onless you shift it manually. It is supposed to be hooked to manifold vac, however, if you go with no kick down cable, I recomend hooking it to a ported fitting. You can also stick a small screw driver in about 75% of them and fine tune your shift point. Screwing it in will raise the shifting point, and again, with no cable, I recomend screwing it in a bit, but nothing crazy.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
matthufham

ahh you're correct there. the stem in the tranny had been filled with black silicone for the detent cable.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:29 AM   #12
R@nger
Psalm 23

Hmm cool thanks.

Do I need to buy new intake manifold bolts?...or will the small ones with the washer type head work that come with the manifold work?

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 02-13-2006 at 01:29 AM.
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote