The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2002, 06:20 PM   #1
vcrazy8

brake problem

My Truck dont stop very well when I hit my brakes hard. The pedel doesn't travel far but no matter how hard you push it doesent stop good at all. The pedel feels real hard to push. It has power brakes and it has slowly been getting worse shoes and pads look good and are adjusted right. It even does it when cold. Kinda feels like brakes do when they are overheated. Normal breaking feels normal it only does it when I push the pedel hard..Could it be the Aoto Zonr performance carbon metalic brake pads? thanks
vcrazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

Not being there to try it myself makes diagnosing tough, but it sounds like it could it be your power booster is failing and also if you drive it on a sandy road and try to do a controled skid will any of the wheels lock up?
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:35 PM   #3
Zkast
Account Suspended

I would tend to agree with the booster problem. Make sure you have a good vacuum hose connected and check your booster vacuum valve. If everything is working like it should, you should be able to have vacuum assist up to 10 minutes after the engine is shut off. If not, there is a leak.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
vcrazy8

It only holds vacume for about 2 minutes. After 1 minute there is vary little vacume.Where would I check for a leak? Or is there any other ways to test it thanks
Old 09-19-2002, 09:49 PM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

Check the booster check valve. There's a easy trick I use at work and it lets you know if there is a problem in the valve or a leak in the booster.

Start the engine, run it for a minute or so then shut it off. Immediatly pull the vacuum hose from the check valve (0r where it connects to the intake). Your looking for a vacuum leak by putting your finger over the hose/check valve. If there is vacuum there, you have a bad valve. If there is no vacuum leaking there, its a safe bet you have a leaky booster diaphram.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:59 PM   #6
cableguy0

if ur booster is original andthe truck has set around for long periods of time ever i would go ahead and replace the booster and the valve.it only a rubber diaphram inside and like any other rubber component it rots
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:02 PM   #7
Gordo

Start with checking the vaccum supply. With engine running, dissconect the hose from the check valve at the booster, you should have a strong vaccum and left unplugged it should stall the engine, if not you may have a restriction either in a collasped hose or crud build up at manifold. If you have a strong vaccum, reconnect hose, restart engine briefly then shut down, remove hose again leaving the plastic check valve in place in booster, is the valve holding vaccum within booster? no? Replace valve. Yes? Depress brake pedal and hold still, do you hear a constant vaccum leak? Yes? Replace booster.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:05 PM   #8
vcrazy8

Talking

I fixed the brakes. I took off the Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads and put on raybestos pads and now it will stop on a dime and give change