The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Luvlegs

To dip or not to dip - I have a few questions

This weekend, I got the box off. I need to get the panels cleaned up - inside and out. I also have a few spots that will require some small patches. My father-in-law had some old antique metal patio furniture dipped (very rusty) and then dipped again instead of paint. Looks awesome! The guy told him he could do my body panels if I wanted them done. Not the paint part, just the intial "de-rusting". Anyone familiar with this process? Leaves a black surface.

If I have the panels dipped, can I weld on them still and not worry about having to redip? Wrong process perhaps? Without using a sandblaster on the panels (which has been beaten around on here from both sides) how else would you get in between say the inside and outside of the bedsides? I added start and present pics for visual enjoyment if nothing else.
Attached Images

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: To dip or not to dip - I have a few questions

Chemical dipping is a great process, but it can be left behind in some of those very tight spots you mention above. I imagine it is a high dollar process for a whole body (car) or cab and bed, but for some panels I'd look into the process he uses and the chemicals then do some web searches. In this day and age a lot of info can be had, on here you will get info, but usually from someone's point of view, so I'dd find out as much as you can from the dipper and then fact find on the web!! You may also call a few of the higher dollars restorers (antique cars and trucks) and ask their educated opinion.

Good Luck!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I've asked this question to numerous paint/body shops and the general consensus is that acid dipping is good for smaller parts/panels, but if you're going to restore an entire truck it is much better to have it media blasted.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Soda Blast!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote