The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Rusty Old Chevy

brake booster swap

ok now i need to swap out my brake booster on my 72 c10 and iam just curious how much work am i expected to perform here?? are they a royal pain in the butt or is it pretty simple?? and do i hafta bleed the brakes afterwords? is there anything i hafta do under the dash??
Rusty Old Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Rusty Old Chevy

Re: brake booster swap

no one has??? wow
Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I am surprised that no one has responded yet either but there are a ton of threads on the forum about brake boosters. If you ckick on the search button at the top of the page and type in booster or brake booster. It will take you to several threads about the subject. If you search the FAQS on the home page there are some also. That is FAQ submissions not the forum FAQS.
Another point I need to make is that your post is not too descriptive about what it is you want to do and why. Are you wanting to replace the booster you have or add one. I read your post to mean that you have a booster and you want to replace it. If that is the case then you should be able to unbolt the master cylinder and move it far enough forward to get the booster off and a new one back on without loosening the brake lines. There is a clamp on the frame just below the steering rod that holds the two lins in place and if you take it off you can move the brake lines easier. You will need to support the master cylinder so it doesn't tilt over and spill fluid out. If you are careful I think you can accomplish this task. What is wrong with the booster you have on now? VV

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Rusty Old Chevy

the brake booster i have on it now is bad, iam loosing all the vaccum pressure and its a pain in the butt to stop, i literally hafta use both feet to stop it at a 5mph roll, which is pretty sad if you ask me....but i had it checked out and thats what they told me was wrong so i just went and picked up a new one from the local parts store..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
roadking

simple swap, keep brake lines hooked up, should not have to bleed brakes unless the already needed to be bleed. use a bungy and attached to your hood and MC to keep lines from bending when getting MC out of your way.
ENJOY LIFE
roadking is offline   Reply With Quote