The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
f.monroe

Speedo problem

I had to replace my speedo since it was way off . It showed about 90 when going 70 . Since I had to replace that part , i just installed a tach cluster while I was at it . Everything works fine and the speedo appears to be correct . It is at 70 when I am at around 2500 rpm .I measured a 10 mile stretch with my 2005 work truck and then checked the odometer in the new speedo . It registered 10 miles also . My question is .... is there a way to lubricate the speedo since it squeaks like crazy and bounces a little ? It isnt the cable since it was quiet with the other speedo . I will probably take it back apart this weekend and remedy the squeak . If it is possible to lube it , what works best ? Thanks .
Frank
Old 02-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Speedo problem

Not a whole lot to be squeaking in the speedo. All that the speedo cable does is spin a small pair of blades with a magnet attached to them. It spins around in a small metal cup, which is pulled in the direction the magnet spins. Thats why your truck's speedo doesn't just spin around in circles, lol!

But yeah, if you need to lube the speedo head, it'd just need a very quick shot of lithium grease on the back. Chances are it will be the cable that needs the lubing, esspecially if there is bouncing involved.

When its cold out, my 77's cable rubs so bad it sounds like the tire is rubbing on the fender well.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

You could probably lube the outer surface of the bushing where the cable is inserted. It has close tolerances, so I'm not sure if lithium grease will get down in there. Maybe, a lightweight oil. Probably best to apply with the unit face down while spinning the bushing. Maybe, a wet graphite lube would work. I used some for the door hinges and, so far, it seems to work better than the lithium grease that I last used. BTW, I used dry powder graphite lube on the cable with not much luck.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
evan

Mine continuously dings like a bell at highway speeds and it bounces around all the time too. I had the lines lubricated but it didn't help.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Look for a graphite and alcohol mix lubricant (at most auto parts stores). once this is introduced to the bushings, the alcohol evaporates and leaves the graphite to lube the part.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote