The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2002, 06:12 AM   #1
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

A/C options?

About a month ago, not quite, my fan wheel tried to seperate from the hub that held it to the motor. I just recently got around to epoxying it together. So when it cured, I went to fire up my A/C again and...nothing, no cold air whatsoever. Left it off again until today when I got a chance to work on it, and discovered two things - first, the compressor was making noise, and second, it was VERY low on R12.

So, my dad and I put in a can of oil (which immediately quieted the compressor down) and *gulp* 3 cans, maybe 4, of R12...I've only got two left now.

Basically, I've got a big leak somewhere, and if I do a new compressor like I probably will need, I don't have enough Freon left to do a fill. Right now, it is blowing pretty cold, but summer's almost over...I bet when I fire it up again next year, nothing.

So, just wondering...I might have some extra cash to put into this to "do it right" since the compressor is an old AutoZone remanufactured unit...what's my best route as far as getting this A/C system to top-notch shape, or close to it? I'd like to stick with the stock setup rather than converting it all to the Old Air setup, just because my guess is it'll be less work and less money. Are there any compressors out there that work better / use less power than the rebuilt A6 units I'll get at AutoZone or Checker, and that would work well with R134a on the otherwise built-for-R12 setup?
Old 09-22-2002, 10:11 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Cool A/C opitions

I would change over to the 134-A now. I bought a new long type compressor from napa. (134-A) I also suggest you buy a new fan. I had a water pump bearing go out on mine and I just bent the blades back the best I could and kept having to replace A/C clutches. I couldn't ever figure it out, until one day my dad asked me why I couldn't keep them from going bad. In short the blades are balanced and mine weren't anymore. Got new fan and I have had the same A/C clutch now for almost two years and still going. If you need any more info pm me and check my pictures out at the picture trail, I also replaced the POA vavle.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote