The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
chevyfan420

Question factory rivets

how strong are the factory rivets on the frame? is it worth my money to knock off all the rivets and replace with grade 8 bolts?

86 Chevy 1/2 ton shorty project truck

79 Chevy 1/2ton 350/350turbo
not much to look at... ***Retired***

97 Chevy C1500 4.3/5 speed.....daily driver
chevyfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Southedisto
River life......

Re: factory rivets

The only factory rivets that I have seen shear were due to a wreck.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I believe the factory rivets are a better choice as a frame fastner than high-grade bolts. Aside from their strength as a fastner, rivets 'expand' to fill the hole of the attaching parts.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
I believe the factory rivets are a better choice as a frame fastner than high-grade bolts. Aside from their strength as a fastner, rivets 'expand' to fill the hole of the attaching parts.
That maybe true for a new frame off the assembly line IF they are actually put in tightly. But by the time the frame is 20 years old, they will have loosened up some due to the frame flexing. Also, you can imagine that the rivots are much cheaper (read quicker) to install in the factory than bolts.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
SanitysBane

True, but rivits don't work loose and have part of them fall off, usally. If you were to also install some lockwashers, and tighten the crap out of them and check them everyonce in a while, and willing to go threw all the work to do it and make shure they stay tight, then go for grade 8 bolts. Otherwise keep the rivits.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #6
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
That maybe true for a new frame off the assembly line IF they are actually put in tightly. But by the time the frame is 20 years old, they will have loosened up some due to the frame flexing. Also, you can imagine that the rivots are much cheaper (read quicker) to install in the factory than bolts.

Good point. Personally, I've never noticed any rust/movement stains indicating movement between the rivet(s) and the chassis. And, the ones I had to remove were still very tight.

If rivets have to be replaced, I'd go with fine-thread, grade 10 bolts/thread locking nuts (if available) and thread locking compound. Use the largest bolt that will fit tightly into the hole. Since the holes are sometimes odd sizes, some may have to be reamed out to the next larger size. Then, be sure not to over torque.

I know they supply rivet kits for the Model T and Model A. I wonder if it's possible to use replacement rivets using a bucking bar and a ball peen hammer with a hand-held rivet tool or an air hammer with a rivet attachment.

I would guess that rivets may be cheaper than high-grade bolts/nuts, but I imagine the cost to install the rivets are probably more expensive since operators use large hydraulic presses that are suspended to press the rivets in place. Today, I wonder if that process is now fully automated. (Maybe, Jeff's GM video has a clip of a 73-87 chassis being assembled.)

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 02-12-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
454HO

I wasn't trying to imply that all the factory rivots should be replaced with bolts just for the sake of replacing them. But, if you have a need to replace a part that was originally rivoted, or if you are completely stripping the frame rails down to paint them, then reassembling with bolts should be just as good if not better than the factory rivots.

When I stripped the front of my truck's frame I did find that some of the rivots were loose. The cross brace that is in front of the engine crossmember is one place. And a sway bar mounting bracket was another place. Also, I found significant amounts of rust behind the radiator core support mounting brackets. Seems like that is a good place for dirt to collect and trap moisture.

And yes, I had to use a step drill bit to enlarge the rivot holes to the next standard bolt size. I used all grade 8 bolts with grade 8 flat washers on both sides, but I used ny-lock nuts which are grade 5.

As for periodic maintenence to check the tightness of the bolts, I suggest you check them just as often as you check your engine crossmember and tranny crossmember bolts.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
ureckme
ureckmefixit2@cox.net

When I replace rivits at the body shop I use 8 grade bolts and tack weld the nut to the bolt
Crower Custom Grind .462in .486ex
Dyno Test 422hp @ 5600
And it's got a Holley
3.73 Gears
12 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
700R4 Going In
I'm a Body Man So There!
That's why it's not painted
ureckme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

But isn't there also the harder a bolt is the grater its change to just shear off? Kind of like a bolt extractor set, the taps are really strong but very brittle.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #10
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
When I stripped the front of my truck's frame I did find that some of the rivots were loose. The cross brace that is in front of the engine crossmember is one place. And a sway bar mounting bracket was another place. Also, I found significant amounts of rust behind the radiator core support mounting brackets. Seems like that is a good place for dirt to collect and trap moisture.
OT

454HO, how's your build-up coming along?

Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
OT

454HO, how's your build-up coming along?
I haven't touched it since October. Two trips to China, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and a few other incedentals have gotten in my way of working on it. But I'm back here to get inspired and motivated to start working on it again.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
1976K5CHALET

Factory rivets persay on class 8 trucks are called "huck" bolts. Pretty damn tuff...but require a expensive hydraulic gun and pump set up on a cart to install. I think a better bolt might be a flange bolt and nut...not sure on the grade but they are pretty tough. I have them holding my winch and bumper on my 79 K5...bit more pricey than a grade 8 bolt but they do the trick.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote