The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

2/4 or small drop pictures

I have done a few searches and I can't seem to find any pictures of any trucks with a 2/4 drop. My buddy is wanting to lower his truck but doesn't want to upsize his wheels. He has Weld wheels now but he is wanting my 8" rally wheels when I remove them. Will the 15" diameter wheel keep him from using a drop spindle? He is leaning toward using a 2" drop coil for the front. He doesn't want to hack up the back of the truck so he is wanting to install drop leafs. The few pictures I have seen of dropped shackles have the bed floor hacked up to clear them. How much drop do new hangers provide? Are hangers the better option compared to new leaf springs? Keep in mind he isn't necesarily looking for "cheap" options. He wants this truck to ride good and be done correctly. He is looking for a mild drop. I have tried talking him into a 4/6 and upsizeing the rims to a 17" but he wont budge! If anyone has some pictures they can post, go for it! I need something I can show him to sway his opinion one way or another. Here are a couple photos of his truck.

Shaved pockets!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: 2/4 or small drop pictures

Western chassis offers 2.5 inch drop spindles. I have them on my truck, and they work fine with the 15" wheels. The only modification I had to do twas the bend the brake lines a little. I think they are a better option than springs because you maintain your full suspension travel and stock length shocks.

Western Chasis also has 4 inch drop leaves for the rear. As I said in Cliffsta's thread, I have them but they are not installed yet. They don't require any mods to the bed support like the shackles do.

Slonaker
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
Western chassis offers 2.5 inch drop spindles. I have them on my truck, and they work fine with the 15" wheels. The only modification I had to do twas the bend the brake lines a little. I think they are a better option than springs because you maintain your full suspension travel and stock length shocks.

Western Chasis also has 4 inch drop leaves for the rear. As I said in Cliffsta's thread, I have them but they are not installed yet. They don't require any mods to the bed support like the shackles do.

Slonaker
Thanks for the info! Are you planning on installing those rear springs soon? I need some pics to convince him which way to go with his truck. Right now he is talking about a 2" drop coil for the front and a 3" drop leaf spring for the rear. I am still trying to talk him into 4" for the rear but he thinks it will be too low.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I doubt the springs will be installed in the near future. They will have to wait until the new engine has all the bugs worked out.

I suspect that 4 inch springs will give him less drop than a 4 inch drop with shackles and hangers. The old springs are probably worn after 20 years or so, dropping the back end a little just by sagging. That is certainly the case with new coils. My truck is not much lower with new stock coils and drop spindles than it was with worn out coils and stock spindles. It is a little lower, and it rides a whole lot better than it did.

Gchemist has stock springs with drop spindles in the front and shackles/hangers in the back in the pic below. His is really low compared to mine now. I suspect this is because he is running the old springs. This is a pic of his truck next to mine before I lowered it. Don't compare his to mine since it has new HD coils (sold to me as stock replacements, which they were not) and stock spindles in this pic.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 02-13-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

Cmon guys, there has to be someone out there with some pictures they want to show off! Let's see what you got.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

So is everyone running more drop than this or are they just shy?
Old 02-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I think everyone, for the most part, is running more drop. They say it is addictive, that you always want to go lower.

Slonaker