The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Burb
Coordinator of Synchronicity

Master cylinder change for rear disc add on

Have '71 3/4 ton burban with front disc brakes and I have just bought a 2000 8 lug 3.73 semi-float rear end with disc brakes and I am in the process of welding pads and pan-bar bracket.

Question is, where can I get a master cylinder that will do the job, without shelling out a chunk of change.
Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: Master cylinder change for rear disc add on

Remove the proportioning valve and use a splitter block like on a 4 drum system and try what you have before changing to another. Of course pressure is nice -- not much of a problem with power brakes. Volume is what moves distances as will be needed on your rear disc.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

Re: Master cylinder change for rear disc add on

I JUST DID THE SAME THING-BUT TO A 86 BURB...there are all sorts of things you can do--i called around and got expert advise from the hot rod guys and california classic products and the best there is also in calif,, american braking systems....it cost me next to nothing to do it.. buy what i neded on ebay....and actually if you have a 1 inch bore master cylinder with the 2 tank compartment and a good 12 inch booster then you do not have to do nothing---not even change out your proportioning,,,as it should be set up for 60 % of the presure out back and 40 up front....a 1 inch bore master cylinder creates more presure then anyone size bigger....

i put in a 1 inch booster in 12 inch and a corvette 1 inch dual res master cylinder;;;;made sure my por valve was set to 60 in back 40 in front then for my own piece of mind i got a extra resivoir can and hook it up to my manifold this stores brake boost and makes the pedal easier to push and stop the truck....well this is it and i have dic's all around and tow a 14,000 lb trailer all the time and have never had a problem.....once i fully understood how everything worked it was simple to make it come toghter real cheap....hope this helps....just ask american bracking systems they are years ahead of anyone even oem--in the brakeing world....good luck aab
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote