The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
woodyjim

More Front End Questions

O.K. Not to belabor the issue, but I want to make sure I do everything I need to while I'm at it. When I first posted about my lower ball joints I mentioned that I had just had new tires mounted due to a large amount of wear to the outside front edges. I was told that my lower ball joins were worn and alignment would be useless. Well, I've noticed now with my new tires that my steering is very sensitive. The slightest movement of the steering wheel causes a big reaction. Is this still the same problem or do I need to go deeper. Sorry about the repetitive post but I need HELLLLP!!!!
Thanks again, guys!
woodyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Re: More Front End Questions

If your balljoints are worn, new tires will make it real sensitive. It's like good tread makes the tires grab quicker/easier and the balljoints let it seem quicky (is that a word?) to the touch.

To tell you the truth, if I were you and had the bucks, I wouldn't quit until I had rebuilt the entire front end. This includes idler arm and all. You have to remember, if the balljoints are gone it's a pretty good bet the other stuff has been neglected also. It's amazing how good these old trucks drive with a tight front suspension up under them.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

Re: More Front End Questions

like swervin ervin said, if you have the money rebuild, check to see if the adjusting sleeves are rusted, that's the problem i had they could not do a front end align.... go for it, it's fun...just have a lot of band aids (haha)
good luck..keep us posted...