The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Fuel Cell mounting

I am looking for some pictures of how you guys have mounted you fuel cells under the bed, NO BLAZER TANKS. fuel cells. please and THANKS
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Re: Fuel Cell mounting

I'm sure you'll have a ton of pics before I weld my cell up and get it mounted,but I'm gonna go with a couple of straps underneath front to back(the back will bolt up to the new crossmember I built to make room for the cell).I'll have one strap running side to side across the top as well,just not too sure how I'm gonna mount that one yet.
Oh and for the straps I went to the Kenworth dealer and bought a bunch of the formed rubber they use to mount tanks on their rigs(cost $20 iirc) and got some 2"X1/8" flatbar for the straps which fit perfectly in the rubbers.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
71swb4x4

Here's the one I installed on my old truck. Angle iron across the top, bent metal "straps" across the bottom. The straps were heavier metal than normal, about the same gauge as the angle iron. Not really straps, bent pieces of flat iron would be a better way to describe them.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Thanks , those give me an idea of what direction to take,

Kepp the pics coming
!!
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
twotons

i have installed a few 20 gallon RCI fuel tanks in the 63 to 72 trucks, on the short beds you need to remove the rear most crossmember and take a little edge off the crossmember behind the diff, i tig on some mounting points to the side of the tank then make mounting tabs that reach the frame, very easy if you take time to make it look nice. i ll get a cpl pics and try and post them for you.

after you are done i fab up a different rear crossmember for saftey so the tank is not hanging out in harms way.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...erdd5d5045.gif
twotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

i can give you pics when i get mine done in the next couple weeks, possibly?

some cells come with tabs on the sides to bolt to the bottom of the framerails, others you gotta use straps.

You might find this post useful:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=78

To see a tabbed install (on a steel tank - but the same concept), check out this ECE page:

http://www.earlyclassic.com/tech.asp...y=Go%20Farther

You will find it very interesting/useful I would guess. Last but not least, I'm going to go dig up some pictures a board member sent me a couple months ago to post up. Good luck, please be sure to stop back in once you get mounted up and show progress pics to help out those of us who will be doing the exact same thing

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

here are some pics of a truck one of our Hawaiian members is/was working on. I'm including one of the stereo setup too just because it really looks sweet.

You'll notice on this system that the tabs are on the top of the framerail (this doesn't look like stock frame for our trucks to me, but I honestly have no clue).

don't ask me any questions about this truck, i cannot remember the board member's name and all i have is these two pictures. if you think these pictures are interesting, save them now because i'm not going to host them at my site forever (aka they will go bye-bye in a couple of months)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
twotons

what size tires are you running? whos frame rails? just curious.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...erdd5d5045.gif
twotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
fletch4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
don't ask me any questions about this truck, i cannot remember the board member's name and all i have is these two pictures.

reading is good
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch4x4
reading is good
LOL some people only look at "pitchers" tho! I just won't answer his question. Maybe at some point he'll actually read what I typed instead of looking at what I posted.

FTR, I got the pictures in an email with all of the information you see above. It's not something I picked off the forum. You will not find the above images on the forum that I'm aware of. I'm serious everyone - read my post above the pictures. Thes pictures go bye-bye soon, so get em if you want em.

Last edited by shifty; 02-22-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
72MARIO

I will have to get some of mine up here this week. It hangs down a bit but never hit's.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 AM   #12
jay-dawg
chevelito

dang...I wonder who this guy is. that's some meat on those tires!!! sorry to hijack thread.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote