The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Prerunner1982

Gmc 1---me 0

Well, Tues night I went to leave work about 11:30pm and truck didnt start. Father-in-law stopped and proved what i thought was wrong.. NO FUEL getting to the throttle body.. tank was full.. too late, too dark, and no tools.. leave truck at work and head home..

Wed.. head into town to take kiddo to school.. had to borrow mother-in-laws car, as my truck is still up on blocks awaiting front end.. get to the truck about 9:30.. after, trying to figure out how to get to it, i decide to try and only drop the tank alittle and then raise the bed so i can get up there and work on it.. no problem.. get the tank dropped.. start on bed.. the hold in the bed for the last bolt is stripped, and not even vice grips will hold the head. Wife gets lunch on her way back from getting daughter from school... They gve me the wrong sandwich, take it back get it fixed.. back to the truck.. i get to the point where i cant do anything without help and more tools... put in a request to my father in law to bring another jack, dremel, and extension cords.. as my truck was in the middle of the parking lot and i had to get power from my store.. had about an hour to spare so we sit and relax.. while talking, wife asked about the dual tanks.. then it hits me... my daughter played with the dual tank switch and the pass. tank doesnt work..

flip the switch and truck came to life... SON OF A!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i start putting truck back together as father in law shows up.. said we were going have to rebuild extension cords if we needed them as mice had gotten to them.. would have fit right in the with rest of my day.. soo i wasted a GREAT day as it was 94* outside, and it was my day off.. spent 6hrs working on the truck to find out it was a switch... I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN TO LOOK THERE!!!..

Wife and I tried to call in to work as we work at a nursery on wed nights.. said they really needed us.. ends up wasnt a busy as they thought so we finally got to go home.. needless to say i feel stupid and i slept good that night...

GMC 1

Jon 0
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
live85

Re: Gmc 1---me 0

Man, sorry to hear that! Those beautiful little offsprings can cause us so much joy sometimes. I had a similar problem with a 4 wheeler. I accidentally hit the key switch and nudged it to the off position without knowing it. I thought I ran out of gas at first. I had to get a buddy to pull me all the way back home with his. Noticed the key switch as we pulled into my back yard.
Not near as bad as your experience, but embarrassing as heck.
2.73 open differential 10 bolt (yeehaw)
Priceless sentimental value
live85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Jon don't feel bad I can relate. My ex-witch I mean ex-wife were driving to my mom's house and drove about 1 1/2 hours out and forgot some luggage (all her fault ). So we drive back and I fill the driver side tank and flip the switch to that side. We're driving along and the truck starts to sputter. We pull over and I'm out of gas but the gauge still says full. Well we end up getting gas delivered by my brother (45 miles away from where we were in BFE). So we drive to the gas station fill up the passenger side and drive off.

For the next couple weeks I'm hauling a full tank of gas on the driver side because I know the valve itself is bad and going to cost $$$ I didn't have. So finally get the valve replaced, most of the fuel lines etc. all redone. Still nothing from the driver side tank. I replaced the switch, switch cover etc. all nothing. It would show a full tank of gas just nothing being delivered. Then I got a wire schematic from a board member and take a test light to the valve. No power at all. So chasing wires back to the fuse box I stuble across one little wire that came out by me I had taken it out awhile back thinking I didn't need it. So I spent all the $$$ and time hauling a tank of gas when I didn't need to and just put the wire back in the fise box.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson

Last edited by 79BIG10; 03-03-2006 at 07:11 PM.
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
C&C Chevy

Jon, I've been through that scenerio. Twice. Those little tank selector switches are just in a bad spot. Once, I had a Christmas gift fall over while I was driving and hit it just right. Truck dies right in the middle of traffic and I get so frustrated that I forget to check the obvious first and I end waiting for the wife to come get me before I realize what happened. lol

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
66+81

On my dad's truck (he drives a F*rd) one of his spark plug wires went out and the truck started skipping really bad. So, of course, we put new plugs and wires in it. Well, it was still skipping. WTF? Well, none of the redneck shops around here could figure out what was wrong w/it. We ended up putting a whole new motor in it ($1100). When the guy put the new motor in, he put the plugs and wires off the old motor on it, since they were new. Well, truck was still skipping. Dad took it to a real shop (didn't try it before cause they're to expensive). Turns out one of the wires from the new set was bad. Put a new wire on it, ran good as new (well, as good as a F*rd will drive, lol). Dad calls it his $1100 spark plug wire.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #6
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Thank god I have a fuel cell..I hate dealing with stupid problems (of which I created)
I can relate to that..just last week, I dumped $150 on a new catalytic converter, to try and pass smog..all it was, was the Previous Owner (of my new truck) had moved a fuse to a BLANK spot..put the fuse back in the CORRECT spot, and voila, EGR worked...
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
ACES
Life is a gamble

Quote:
They gve me the wrong sandwich, take it back get it fixed.
So what kinda sandwich did you get?

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Man can I relate. I hated my dual tanks on my old Ferd. They need lights to tell us IDIOTs to swith or keep it switched to the good tank

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
Prerunner1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES
So what kinda sandwich did you get?
i ordered just a grilled chicken sandwich from Arbys... they gave me a chicken cordon bleu or something... just had chicken, some other meat and some mayo or dressing...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroppedZ84
Thank god I have a fuel cell..I hate dealing with stupid problems (of which I created)
I can relate to that..just last week, I dumped $150 on a new catalytic converter, to try and pass smog..all it was, was the Previous Owner (of my new truck) had moved a fuse to a BLANK spot..put the fuse back in the CORRECT spot, and voila, EGR worked...
The EGR is electrically controlled? I thought it was by vaccuum?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote