The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Ziptar
Diesel Addict

Need Advice 2 Trucks.. What to do.... (LONG)

I bought a 1979 C-10 with and Olds Diesel in it I had bought the truck thinking I would put the engine and air conditioning in my 85. The goal was a decent looking and running truck that got excellent mileage.

To be honest.. I paid $650 ($250 for the truck and $400 to have it hauled 500 miles) for the 79. The 79 is nicer than my 85.. I paid $800 for the 85 and had to put a tranny in it ($150 for used tranny and new mount, seals, etc). when I climbed underneath the 79 I couldn't beleive my eyes. The frame and cab floor are rock solid and absolutley rust free. They don't look like they could be older than 2-3 years. The paint is still shiny. Sames with the exhaust newish Dual exhast shiny still on some parts all the hangers and such in place.

I got the 79 running yesterday and it runs nice and drives much better than my 85. Just feels tighter more solid.

I just put a used 700R4 in the 85.

Pros of the 1979:
Runs ands drives. Body is pretty tight and complete. Has A/C (much needed in Florida summers. Cab Floor, rockers, and coners are perfect. Bedsides and front panel are perfect. It's a Diesel.

Cons of the 79:
Transmission (TH400) leaks a bit and makes a high pitched scraping noise when in park or when at a stop in Drive (loose TC Bolts maybe??). Bed floor and wheel wells are rusted from having a plastic bed liner in it for years. Bottom of the doors are rusted through. A/C doesn't come on. Temperature Gauge Pegs. Paint is peeling and has surface rust on hood, cab, and bedside. Left front corner has collision damage and insides of both fenders, both inner fenders, battery trays, and inside of outer fenders have been eaten away by leaky batteries. Frame and suspension busings are dry rotted. Guy I bought it from took the headliner and rear bumper off. Has a 3.40 12 Bolt rear. No VIN or Title. (I Can get a title and VIN from an 84 truck for $30)

pictures of the 79 here most of them are from before I bought it when the guy I bought it from bought it in this auction So far most everthing the seller of that auction claimed is true.

Pros of the 85:
Has the 81-87 front clip which I am kind of partial to. Has six leaf springs, 3.73 10 Bolt rear. Has a 700R4, Bed Floor is just about perfect. Doors are not rusted through.

Cons of the 85:
Bedsides, front bed panel, rockers, cab corners, drivers side floor pan, bottoms of fenders, and inner fenders have some rust through (truck came from Michigan based on a sticker I found inside the glove box door. Interior is trashed. 700R4 still leaks from the input shaft even though I put a new seal on it when I put it in. No A/C It's a gasser 305. Has a Step bumper (tweeked on the drivers side) and a class 3 hitch. Exhaust systems is hacked together and leaking.

pictures of the 85 here.

I was going to do a frame up on the 85 but with everything it needs I don't think it'd be worth it and I still need a truck for hauling stuff so I'd loose that. If I could I would swap the trans, rearend and rear springs onto the 1979 but, I don't have space right now to have two trucks apart while I swap stuff.

I would like the 700R4 so I could get maximum MPG and the six leaf springs would be nice to have.

Swapping the Doors and bed floor I could do as I'd still be able to move both trucks around.

Ok, so after all that what would you??
1) Swap all the parts from the 85 to the 79 (including the VIN) and junk the 85 assuming I could find space to take them both apart I sort of know one of the local wrecking yard owners. it's possible i could strip the 85 there and leave what's left??

2) Swap the doors and bed floor between the Two buy the 84 title and then sell the 85 for what I can get for a rough but good running work truck.

3) Sell the 85 the way it is. Find the parts I want / need for the 79 at wrecking yards. Sand and prime it and take it in for a Macco paint job. Drive it the way it is while I find a better 81-87 to fix up.

Thanks for the input and sorry this is so long.. I just need some outside perspective.. Mulling this over has made my head hurt. Oh and of course the Wife would like to only have one truck as soon as possible..
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Need Advice 2 Trucks.. What to do.... (LONG)

It appears that the large parts are better on the 79. Since the cab and frame are in the best shape, and you want the motor it sounds like the one to build. With out getting to lengthy here, I would take the best parts off the 85 and put them on the 79. Just make sure you can get a clear vin# and title before you do.

What's the deal on the 84? Can you get parts from it to? Get all the parts to replace the 79 front clip and update it. Keep in mind you will have to cut holes in the cowl to mount the newer hinges to.

If you are after fuel mileage, keep the 3.42 rear gear in the 79 and get the 700r4 leak fixed. Put that behind the diesel and you should be good to go.
Those diesels weren't very popular at the time, but there are lots of forums deciated to the now. They can be made to be much more reliable than GM ever did.

It looks like everything is intact to get the a/c going again. That would be the deciding factor for me. No a/c in Texas is not an option as far as I'm concerned...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-05-2006 at 12:44 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Ziptar
Diesel Addict

Thanks for the input. I have been reading up on the olds 350 for a while over at the olds-diesel.com forums. The 79 has a Goodwrench replacement motor that is the DX block which is the later style that had allot of updates to fix the original designs issues. New headstuds from ARP Bolts will solve the head gasket issues.

The 84 is title and VIN only, truck was junked.

I thought about the later grille swap. I read up on the swap on coloradok5.com. I don't know if I want to hack up the cab at this point.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
eagle23

I agree with N2Trux. As I read your post, the '70 seemed like the keeper, and it still seems that way. The doors can be swapped, and mechanically and body-wise its the best. But I also agree that you should make sure the title issue is cleared up.
eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
84 400
Sb 400 club

i agree. I think you should stick with the 78 swapp the doors, and maybe the front clip from the 85. you could also swap the bumper. if you have the time and tools i would remove the 78's bed sides and put those on the 85 box and then swap that back on the 78. Just my ideas
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Ziptar
Diesel Addict

Thanks for all the input guys, I guess I'll start pulling all the stuff I want off the 85 and see if Maybe i want to put it back together or junk it.