The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2002, 02:56 PM   #1
Dutch

Dumb fuel gauge sender question

My fuel gauge isn't working properly on my in cab tank, 72 K20. It hangs aroun 1/8- 1/4 regardless of fuel level and moves a little from time to time in that range. The truck sat a while before I got it so I'm guesing a gummed up /rusted linkage or the float is rotted off (?)...

I want to pull the sender but I don't want to strong arm it and break anything. My chev service manual calls for a special tool to remove the lock ring. Can I get it apart without one without screwing anything up?

It looks pretty straightforward, but I thought I'd rather ask now than post tomorrow about how I ruined my sender

Thanks!

1972 Super Cheyenne K20
1976 MGB
1950 Harley FL
1997 Arctic Cat ZR580

"Maybe if I had a couple less hobbies, I'd have time to enjoy one!"
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Gene

hey dutch, take a dull screwdriver or something small and fairly square like a worn out chisel and tap the raised parts of the retainer ring counterclockwise. I have removed many of these without damaging them using just a regular flat screwdriver. After you remove the sending unit ground it to the tank and work the float up and down and see if the gauge rises and falls. If not the unit is probably gone, I have had to replace mine twice since I bought it 8 years ago. Rust tends to build up in the electrical part inside the tank and thats where it fails, don't think it can be dissasembled and cleaned but I have never tried it?

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Southpa

Your float might have a hole in it so its filled with gas. I fixed mine quite a few years ago with JBWeld. If this is the case, drain the float and give it a light scuffing over the hole area after it has dried. Then apply a thin layer of JBWeld and let it dry thoroughly.
Sticks like sh*t to a blanket and doesn't break down. At least, it hasn't so far.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:38 PM   #4
MStokes

A while back I was trying to get my fuel gauge working also. Had the problem with the leaky float. Lots of tiny holes around the recessed area where it clips to the sending unit arm. Also, when the tank was full the gauge would read slightly above 1/4. As the fuel level dropped in the tank, the gauge level would drop down to empty. I ended up replacing the gauge and everything works great now.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
Dutch

Smile Thanks, Guys.....

I appreciate the input! I have gotten home too late to try the suggestions out the last couple days, but I'll let you know how it comes out. I appreciate the help.

1972 Super Cheyenne K20
1976 MGB
1950 Harley FL
1997 Arctic Cat ZR580

"Maybe if I had a couple less hobbies, I'd have time to enjoy one!"
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote