The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Lightbulb Tilt column shifter pin hole

I think it was on this board where someone asked about a fix for a tilt with a worn shifter pin hole. Prompted me to repair mine. Finished it today, and I think it will work.

The top hole for the shift lever pin has a bad habit of egging out. It's a common problem, without an easy fix.

I started by cleaning out the hole. It needs some of the metal removed and the surface of the hole roughed up a bit. A small round file will work. I started by filling the hole with JB Weld and letting it cure for 24 hours.

While it is curing, I modified the pin by tapping the bottom end for a 6-32 screw. Problem is the pin has been hardened, but most of the hardening is on the surface. I ground about an 1/8" off the end of the pin, then drilled with a #35 bit, about 5/8" deep. Then I threaded the hole with a 6-32 bottoming tap. Be careful, it is easy to break or twist the tap, especially when the tap hits the bottom of the hole.

Holding the pin isn't easy. I used a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod and drilled a 15/64 hole through a short length, then split the rod in two. Place the pin in the rod and clamp it in a collet for the lathe, if you have one.

After the JB Weld has cured I drilled out the upper hole. Shoved a rag down into the bottom of the lever hole, and drilled with a #2 bit. Drilled from the bottom, using the lower hole for alignment. Pull out the rag, the shavings should come out with it.

Put in the shifter and gently tap the pin into place. Put a 6-32 X 3/8 bolt to hold the pin in place.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: Tilt column shifter pin hole

cool
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote