The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
Corellian Corvette

Correct Battery Routing for 74 Cheyenne? Pics Please!

Going through my new truck and trying to get everything back to normal.

I'm really questioning the way the existing battery cables are routed.

Right now, the Neg battery cable is stretched and attached to the bolt that holds the alternator in place. That can't be right.

I got a new replacement from NAPA, which is much shorter and I can't see where it would connect - looks like won't even stretch to the engine.

There is also another connection off the Negative cable that runs to some sort of junction block on the core support near where a 2nd battery would go (it reminds me of a Ford starter solenoid). I'm not sure what that piece is for.

Can anyone tell me (or have good pictures) of the correct battery routing and where the negative cable would connect to the engine?

Thanks!
Corellian Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
MidnightBlues

Re: Correct Battery Routing for 74 Cheyenne? Pics Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellian Corvette

Right now, the Neg battery cable is stretched and attached to the bolt that holds the alternator in place. That can't be right.

I got a new replacement from NAPA, which is much shorter and I can't see where it would connect - looks like won't even stretch to the engine.

There is also another connection off the Negative cable that runs to some sort of junction block on the core support near where a 2nd battery would go (it reminds me of a Ford starter solenoid). I'm not sure what that piece is for.

The neg. cable should go to the alternatorbracket. It's weird that it's stretched.

Don't know about neg. junction block, sorry.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Army_Dude

Re: Correct Battery Routing for 74 Cheyenne? Pics Please!

As far as a cable, for future reference. You can buy whatever gauge wire you want from any home improvement store. I think I paid under $1 a foot for #4 AWG and I just picked up some lugs from Wally World for about a buck for 2. They usually are hanging on the end of the battery display case. Then you can run cables wherever you prefer. Mines a 85, but if I remember correctly mine is going to the alt bracket too. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Army_Dude; 03-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote