The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
HotRod73

Dual Tank Question..

I have a 1973/1974 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton pickup 2wd... It has dual tanks with the switch on the floor... It has a position for left, right, and middle.... I was wondering what middle is for? It's been on middle since i got it (2 days ago) and i was wondering if that ment it takes from both tanks??
also my gauge doesnt register the left side i dont think, if i were to put in new gauges could i use a autometer gas gauge even tho i have dual tanks?
HotRod73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
blink32

Re: Dual Tank Question..

If its a stock setup the switch should be a momentary switch. Meaning you press and hold it down to the left or right for the valve to move to either tank then you release it and it returns to middle or the open position. If the valve is functioning correctly then it should neve be pulling from both tanks at once.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
HotRod73

i must not have a stock switch then... i dont think it pulls from both tanks i was just wondering what meant by middle... i have a valve switch on my drivers side floor, you turn it left right or keep on middle and it opens the valves.... anyone ever heard of this or is it aftermarket?
i have a 73/74 3/4 ton pickup 2wd
Old 03-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod73
I have a 1973/1974 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton pickup 2wd... It has dual tanks with the switch on the floor... It has a position for left, right, and middle.... I was wondering what middle is for? It's been on middle since i got it (2 days ago) and i was wondering if that ment it takes from both tanks??
also my gauge doesnt register the left side i dont think, if i were to put in new gauges could i use a autometer gas gauge even tho i have dual tanks?

That is strange that it has that on the floor. I bet it was an aftermarket or dealer add on. I would look at maybe getting a different switch from a autoparts store. Can you take a pic of the switch and the plug that ties into it?

On the gauges you can use the Autometer gauge. If the wiring on the switch and to the gauge is correct it will show the tank you are using's level. Here's a pic of some installed. Mine is mounted differently but same style. http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/gpics.htm Also look here for more info. http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/garage_interior.htm

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

My dad had one with an aftermarket second tank when I was a kid. It had a lever on the floor between the seat and the door. It wasn't a switch, though. It was a handle that controlled a valve that switched between the two tanks. The gas gauge only worked for the factory tank. If you wanted to use the aftermarket tank, you filled both, and used the aftermarket one first. When it ran dry, you switched. That way you always knew you had a full tank with a gauge to fall back on after emptying thefirst one.

Slonaker
Old 03-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
HotRod73

thats it... mine MUST be aftermarket becuase the left one doesnt register and it is just a switch between door and seat not a switch but a valve...
i guess ill see about a factory switch, what all would i need?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Frist you would have to find out if the after market tank even has a sending unit in it like the factory tanks do. I bet it will not, then you would have to add the sending unit, electric valve, and the switch. I am sure it would be alot of work to make work unless you found all the parts from a parts truck.
I might be easier to use like Slonake said his dad used his, fill the after market tank and use it first.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
HotRod73

Good idea, i think the right one is the factory and left is aftermarket... but it all looks stock and original lol...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Army_Dude

My Pop had the same setup on a diesel Scottsdale. Valve behind the seat. But if I remember right, he also had a switch for the gauge. Hard to remember though, it's been a long time. His filler neck for one of his tanks was very long though, that I do remember. Stuck way out from the body. The other side was flush. I'll check on the switch next time I head to GA and let ya know (the truck is rusting away at my Moms). If I can be any help I;ll pull any realted parts for ya.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
HotRod73

that would be nice! thank you...