The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Mechdawg

Power Steering Gearbox doesnt fit????

Hey everyone, I just got a power steering gear box for my 67. I pulled the manual one off and thought that the power one was a direct bolt in replacement but it wont bolt up tight to the frame the bulge for the gears sticks out to far keeping the thing from pulling in tight to the frame by about 3/4" . Is there an adapter plate or something Im supposed to have for this thing to fit right. Please help.
Thanks to all

Mechdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
kevncar

Re: Power Steering Gearbox dosnt fit????

I'm getting ready to do this same swap. Apparently you have to dimple the frame. Everybody seems to be marking the area that needs to be recessed and then heat it up and hit with big hammer till it clears.

See this page http://www.classicheartbeat.com/panel_5.htm for how board member wes did his panel

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Bowtie67

What did you get for a power steering pump and is it from a 2wd to a 2wd, you also could use some body shop or alignment shims.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"

Last edited by Bowtie67; 03-10-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Mechdawg

Thanks for the info and the link. Im not sure how I feel about denting and possibly weakening my frame though.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Mechdawg

it came from a 2wd and is going in my 2wd 67 shortbed
Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I had the same, 67 frame, adding powersteering pump.

I also heated the frame, and dimpled it. Also, you will have to remove a small section of the support brace for the radiator core support.(On a 67, the bracket that support the radiator core support on the driver side will be in the way of the layer powersteering gearbox. You will have to remove about 1 inch by 1/4 inch of the bracket so that it does not hit the gearbox.) If you look at 68-72, that same bracket is already notched from the factory.

If you have access to a later truck with powersteering, compare that section of frame to yours, as well as the core support bracket to see what you have to do to yours to make it work.

Your only other option for power steering is to find a true 67 powersteering setup (ram assisted steering, just like the corvettes).

Last edited by John Fabris; 03-10-2006 at 10:44 PM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

A link to pictures of my '68 PS + steering upgrade:
http://www.satellitehead.com/gallery...s.php?album=10

Some '67s don't have the dimple in the frame that is pictured here:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...teering002.jpg

And here:
http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...teering011.jpg

Notice that first picture - see the bumper bracket that is diagonal from the base of the gearbox on the framerail? You will need to purchase a notched one (power steering and manual steering brace are diff't) from one of the board vendors or else you won't be able to mount your front bumper. I am not sure what Fabris is talking about re: core support bracket, might be talking about the same thing.

Your manual gearbox is only bolted in using 3 bolts. The PS gearbox uses four. You will need a PS pitman arm (they're diff't than manual) and you prolly want to replace the rag joint and might as well do the tie rods at the same time (should take em out anyways).

You could finish the work in a weekend easy. It's much easier if you take the front clip off, but would be equally easy (or easier) if you have access to a lift.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-10-2006 at 06:30 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Shimming it or the sppacer kit sold by one of the vendors is a bad idea. Heating and dimpling will not weakin it enough to matter. If it was a 4X4, I'd say don't do it, but plenty of these have been heated and straightened...or heated and dimpled.

Spacing the pump away from the frame places the gear off center and can wear the box prematurly. Also, if you have a variable ratio box, the center (straight ahead position) would be twitchey. This also adds leverage to the bolts, causing the (remote) passibility of breakage.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
lilred67

i shimmed mine with 3/8" thick flatbar.drives great.you might put more stress on the frame if it were 4x4 and trying to turn big tires,but on a 2x4 it's highly unlikely.
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #10
Americanrider

The way I did my 67 K20 was to place a large ball pien hammer on the frame and hit it with another hammer while heating it to dull orange. This will give you more control over where you strike. I also had to use spacers to get the correct alignment of the shaft, this duplicated the rasied portion of the newer frames. I used 3/8's flat stock and grade 8 bolts, the washers in the pic where just used for mock up. The 2 top mounting holes where the same so the only new ones I drilled where the lowers. You can also see the notch I had to cut in the core support brace to fit the gearbox in the last pic. It was an easy upgrade and well worth the effort. No problems so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 03-11-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
davidh

Re: Power Steering Gearbox doesnt fit????

So, is the 67 power steering different than the 68 and ups? That's what I'm getting from this thread. I have a both a 67 and 68 parts truck and I'm wanting to get my 67 on the road. Power steering was going to be in the works too. should I use the 67 so it will be direct bolt in? Or is it inferior set up to the 68??
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
72armyswbtruck

Depends on if you like the old ram rod style or the newer true power steering gear box type (sorry a little fuzzy on the wording can someone explain the difference better to him).
Old 03-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
ChevyCrazy67

Heat it and bump it in with a hammer it won't weaken your frame any. I used a half moon shaped body dolly and hammer to prevent the dimpling effect, with a little effort it'll turn out nice.

1967 C-10 swb fleetside

1968 C-10 stepside

1999 Z71- sons dd

1999 2wd silverado-my dd

2003 Tahoe- wifes dd
ChevyCrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:24 PM   #14
Americanrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
So, is the 67 power steering different than the 68 and ups? That's what I'm getting from this thread. I have a both a 67 and 68 parts truck and I'm wanting to get my 67 on the road. Power steering was going to be in the works too. should I use the 67 so it will be direct bolt in? Or is it inferior set up to the 68??

67's if they came with power steering had the power ram style like the early corvettes. The frame are flat as in the pic of mine above before I started hammering on it.

In 68 and up the frames had a Dished or curved spot with Raised pads where the bolt holes are. This allowed the steering gearbox to fit close up the frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 03-11-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

The 67 power assited steering is a cyclinder like a hydrolic cyclinder that had hoses running to the pump. It is simalar to a mustang setup.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
Mechdawg

Mine actually had raised pads but no dished area. After all the advice I went ahead heated and hammered it. And it came out great fits like a charm now. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
Americanrider

Power Ram steering pics

I snapped a couple of pics from my 66 C30 Power ram steering, same setup was used in 67 also. Just so some of you guys can see what it is we have been talking about. It used the same power steering pump as 67-72's but the lines hook into the ram rather than the gearbox.
Attached Images