The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #1
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

valve wiring

I know this is electrical more than suspension,but I think I'll get a more focused answer here.
I bought some momentary rockers to use for my air ride and I'm not sure how these work.Here is a diagram of what the switch looks like.Thanks.
Attached Images

'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
7deuce
Sold! 2 days after finished

Re: valve wiring

Man Ive done a lot of wiring and the way all the 6 prong switches that Ive worked with is the middle 2 prongs will have 12V to them, use a jumper wire, its easy that way. Left side top prong is Lfrnt UP and left side bottom is Lfrnt DWN and the same goes with the right side but with the Right side front valves. What are you trying to wire up. Let me know and Ill help you. ****s pretty easy once you do it.
7deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

what I'm planning on is having a switch to run each bag separate.I'll also have a switch to work the front bags together and a switch to run the rear bags together.
I hate electrical so I've always avoided it,I gotta learn it now though cuz this needs doin.
One question,the gr/w wire is bridged to both sides of the switch,wouldn't that be ground?
Thanks for the help.
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
my pics
Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
7deuce

Dude, if I was you Id buy a prewired box from www.suicidedoord.com for 25 bucks and call it a day. By the time you sit down and strip and all thoes wires and trying to figure out whats, what, youll be ready to taste the end of a 12gauge. Go for the prewired.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I have one of those big ugly boxes.Not gonna use it.
Anyone else?
my pics
Old 02-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
7deuce

Your half way there then. Just rip the back off that box to see how its wired. As far as that switch you have goes, the only way to tell what is what, is to OHM it out with the switch in the normally open and normally closed state to see what contacts to use. Hope that helps. And I agree thoes lunch boxes are gay....
Old 02-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Heres a link on how to makeup a 10 switch box... more help here!switchbox wiring GOOD LUCK
Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

thanks guys.Good site camaro thunder.
my pics
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
7deuce

CAMARO THUNDER IS THE SHIZNET. My goal is to finish up the 2x4 box tubing under the frame rails monday and try to keep up with the big dogs. Id post pic of the rear but I dont know how to get the url code. Next stop is the sachse hood hinges and give my garage back its springs.....lol
Old 02-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
TravisH

I was going to do something exactly like this. Then I heard that if you inflate one side more than the other you could damage your sway bar, not sure if thats where you're going or not

With my switches I just used a 9v, a small lightbulb and some wire to find out what completed what circuit.
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

good idea TravisH.I'm gonna go without a swaybar for now and see how it goes.If it sucks,and when I get my fill of playing with the system,I'll install a swaybar.I want control of each bag regardless though.More for slight adjustment than clowning or anything.
my pics
Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
TravisH

I hear ya, thinking about making a removal switch box that'll plug in if I want to control each bag separately. BTW good source for switches is princess auto, got a bunch for 13 cents/piece there once. Only downside is they aren't lighted but I've got a way to fix that
Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #13
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Lol that's where I got these rockers was Princess auto.They were just under $2 a piece and they look like power window rockers out of mid 90's GM trucks.
Still haven't got them figured out yet though.
my pics
Old 03-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
TravisH

probably different than mine but I'll take a look at them. I had mine all figured out
Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH
Then I heard that if you inflate one side more than the other you could damage your sway bar.
I'm no engineer or anything, but i don't think you will damage your sway bar by having one side higher than the other. It will however limit your side-to-side playing. If you think about it, this is the exact thing that sway bars were designed to do, only under much more powerful forces than an airbag will put out, like when you're going around a semi-sharp curve pushing 70mph.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
kevncar

I thought I've seen somewhere somebody made a removable pin so you can drive around with the added stability of a sway bar and then remove the pin and play when needed. I think it was 4x4 stuff and rock crawling if I remember right.

Any ideas guys

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #17
pharcydekm

I have ran my system both ways with and without a sway bar. It really doesn't effect anything by having it so I have mine installed full time. I really only see it being a problem if you were trying to hop it or something. As far as switch boxes go they are pretty easy. I run a 6 switch I buy the small toggles from radio shack for $2.oo anyway for a 6 switch box you need 2-6 pin switches and 4 3 pin switches. Center pins are power top pins are up bottom pins are down. rUN A jumper wirre for all the power. Your ground is just like any auto wiring it wold be at the valve there is no need to run a ground wire up to your switch box. You can also get a 13 wire connector from radio shack if you want to be able to disconnect it. Hope it helps!
pharcydekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #18
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

That does help pharcydekm thanks.So,goin by the diagram above,I'd run one wire from the fill valve to the top and one wire from the dump valve to the bottom.Am I right in assuming that the green/white wire that is tied into both sides of the switch is intended for a ground when an application requires it?
my pics
Old 03-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #19
pharcydekm

Are you using a power window switch? If it was me the only reason to do something like that would be to have a factory style look. I have had friends that drive say a 98 chevy so we take a 98 tahoe control panel and wire the bags to the rear widow switches that way the panel is stok. I guess it really depends on how badley you want to use the switches you already have. If they are power window switches it could be that the green and white wire tied the passanger side window to the drivers side switches. If it was me I would probably dismantle the switch and see what I was dealing with rather than using the existing wire that is currantly attached. Another thing to think about is that most power window switches or systems use relays that the switch triggers the power to the relay. You really aren't running any power to burn it up but I would look into that too. just some stuff to think about.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:20 PM   #20
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

yup they are window switches out of what looks to be a mid 90's GM half ton.
I want to use them for the look more than anything.
Thanks for the advice,it's helping me out lots!I'm gonna play with them some more and see what happens.
my pics
Old 03-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
pharcydekm

If you get a chance snap a pic of the back of the switch would like to see if I can figure it out too. May help.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #22
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Here you go,sorry the pics aren't that great.
Attached Images

my pics