The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Draggin79

Couple more questions, baggin a 79.

Ok, so as most of you know, I started with a full frame off build. Painted frame in POR-15. Chopped my crossmember up front 1.5" got my top bag plates bolted on. getting ready to run some lines for the front before I bolt the bag up. Just wondering where everyone ran their lines to keep them out the way of everything? I was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of where the spring would sit in the crossmember. then routing my hose to that little crossmember all the way in the front and mounting my valves on there. pretty much right below the radiatior.

Second part is the back.... I got my KP 6 link kit all loosely bolted up since I dont have my rearend in yet. Made my own set of 10" notches for the rear, (boy are they gonna be a pain to weld with how the frame changes dimensions) And now I cant decide how Im gonna plumb out the rear. I want to run a nitrogen cylinder in the bed, maybe a 8 or 12 gallon tank under the bed and ill have a engine driven comp for normal everyday use. I also plan on putting in a fuel cell under the bed. But I cant decide how I can fit all this under there LOL. Just lookin for some ideas on what you guys did to make your install as clean as possible.
Draggin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Re: Couple more questions, baggin a 79.

Can you route the front airline up through the existing hole of the upper spring pocket and then towards the frame rail?. Then, you can route it along the inside of the frame rail to the location of the valves. You may need a 90* elbow fitting for the top of the air spring. The downside is that you have to route and attach the airline and fitting to the bag before installing the bag. A leak from in there would be hard to detect as well. But, it would make for a clean install.

As far as your air tank, if you're gonna run a fuel cell, maybe place you air tank in the location where the passenger side fuel tank is/was.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Couple more questions, baggin a 79.

What kind of line are you running, hard line or plastic ? If you are running plastic line DO NOT run it anywhere near a heat source. If it's even close to heat it can cause the line to blow.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote