The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
jrb71c20

Doing HEI conversion this weekend

Doing HEI conversion this weekend and i got a couple questions...I don't mean to come off overly cautious or dumb but, electrical stuff is one of my many weak points. Besides that, it's our(my)second vehicle and I cant afford to fry anything...5 kids eat too much....Anyway, as far as I know I got all I needed and printed off the tutorials to reference.

[IMG][/IMG]

1.By the image, I run a wire to the right top side?
2. If thats right, anything go to the left one?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got a electric fuel pump wired to one of the ing unfused slots and I want to avoid splicing into another connection. Theres something already in the other ing unfused slot. I unplugged it and checked all my basic functions...lights, wipers, heater, etc and everything still worked and cant tell what it connects to. followed it to pic #3 and the grn and org go round back behind the glovebox.

3. Can anyone tell me what they might be for?
4. Can i utlize that black wire in the slot ending at that point in pic #3?

Again, sorry guys for comin off ignorant but, tryin to make sure I do it right. Thanks for any input...Jason
jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Doing HEI conversion this weekend

The left hand terminal on the dizzy cap is for a tachometer.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Krue is correct.

If you'll look close at the top of the distributor cap, the words "TACH" and "BATT" are cast into it over the appropriate terminals to remind you.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
jrb71c20

Dohhhhhhhh...I recon I shoulda ckecked that... At least I'll know where to plug a tach in when I get around to getting one. BTW...I'll be down in Dallas Monday, I should head your way so I can be smacked. . Anyone know about those wires from the fuse box?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
turbojunker

I wouldn't run a wire from the fuse box, I just did the swap the other day. I replaced the resistance wire like this thread shows, and it works great. I did it on a 250 I6, but I guess the wiring is the same with a V8.

Last edited by turbojunker; 03-11-2006 at 08:26 PM.
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
72 Money Pit

There is a resistor in the heater box that is straight through from the glove box. My 72 wiring diagram shows yellow and light blue wires running up that way from the heater switch. But if you heater is working, you wouldn't assume that the resisitor could be disconnected. Do you have air conditioning? Also, you said you checked your lights, did you check your back up lights? Does the truck have the original-style radio? When I cleaned up the misc. wiring under my dash, I found add-on wires stowed everywhere. They turned out to be for things like a CB radio, trailer brakes, etc. Regarding your conversion, I went to the GM HEI distributor and have interference with the firewall. I will have to push back (beat with a hammer) a small area behind the distributor cap in order to eliminate the contact between two spark wire boots and the firewall. Good luck!
1972 Cheyenne K20, crate 290 hp 350, GM HEI, 4 spd, 4:10 w/Detroit Locker in corporate 14-bolt

[SIZE="3"]Twice as much invested in it as I could ever hope to get out of it, and still spending![/SIZE]
72 Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
jrb71c20

Turbojunker...I've checked the thread you specified and I'll use that as reference too, thank you...72 Money pit, yes it's got a/c and last I knew it worked but out of freon so it hasn't been used for a long while. No, I didn't check the b/u lights but, I'll recheck today before I get started and try to trace out some of the wiring under the dash. I'll check the clearance to the firewall too and see if I run into lack of space, give it some love taps if needed

It's gonna be a all day thing as I'm no expert and still recovering from the Kid Rock concert last night. Thanks again for the assistance guys and I'll let you know how it went.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
jrb71c20

ITS ALIVE.....not finished but, it works. I still have to regap the plugs, soder the wiring and figure out why my timing is so off. I went ahead and used the ing unfused for now so i could get it going...traced the existing wires(org & grn) in that slot to whatever part of the heater/air unit thats under the dash. It plugs in on the backside of the unit.

When I originally brought #1 to TDC the rotor was actually pointing more to the direct front of the motor (a little toward #2...?). When I got the HEI in and adjusted and went to adjust the timing the mark on the balancer wasnt even regestering...hell couldnt find it...thinkin Ill do that over again and recheck.

The starter only had pos bat and 1 black wire going back and up to the firewall and spliced to a purple wire. Looks like that goes to the neutral safety and the the ignition. I spliced into the purple to check voltage and got nothin in run AND crank...guessing I had to have been doing it wrong? The last concern is the the plug wires...even swapping some around a couple lay on the exaust manafold. I got some cheap aftermarket styled holders but, they are prettymuch useless. Should I consider a second set of plug wires for the longer ones or anyone know where to get a good set of stock type holders for the valve covers for it?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
jrb71c20

Outside of sodering and straightening up the wiring it's done. Got the timing fixed, just needs a little tweekin. Runs ALOT better. Thanks for the assistance fellas...Jason