The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

How Do You Value????

This has talked about lately how do you value or set a price on your ride if you want to sell? I know theres alot of trucks here, stock,resto,frame off,sharp,not so sharp, etc etc. Heres how i'm gonna set mine when I'm done. It should be worth twice what I'd paid 16yrs ago that is 6 grand add 3 grand in parts and IF!!!!!! the paint turns out great I HOPE!!!!! add at least 3 grand more. Around 11 or 12. Some of the guys I work think I'm nuts when I told them this. So price and give some feedback on how you alldo it, and what you use. Price guides,bluebooks, other trucks etc.BTW POST 400!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS WEASEL
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
basketcase

This is always a tough area with restored or customized vehicles. Compare your truck with others and be honest with yourself as to your truck being better, equal to or worse than the others. what did they actually sell for and what were they asking? Check the auction sites like Kruse International and Barrett-Jackson to see what they were bid to or sold for. Read the discription they give too but beware that they are usually exagerated. An example would be a truck that was presented as a beautiful restoration but didn't bring a very good bid will tell you that the people who were there actually looking at the truck were not impressed.

Watch them on EBAY too. Also check the national publications like Roundup and Deals On Wheels, Hemmings ect. Vehicles in some publications seem to run higher than in others. Then, as you said, there are the price guides. They can be a big help.

If you want to invest some money or need documention for your insurance company, there is always the professional appraiser. Get one that is licensed and recognised by insurers. Also make sure he is knowledgable in older trucks.. The yellow pages, Hemmings and other collector magazines and papers are a good source to locate a competent appraiser. Also ask others at shows ect. who they used. Your insurer may have someone they prefer but that doesn't mean that you can't get a second independent opinion.

I guess how far you go depends on if you just want to know for your own info or you need documentation. A photo alblum with pics of the rebuild and finished truck goes a long way to establish your claim as to the trucks value too.

Tom

Last edited by basketcase; 09-28-2002 at 01:10 PM.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
Southpa

Just to add to basketcase's post, when he mentioned documentation, keep receipts. I had a friend who was trying to sell his 86 Scottsdale. He said he sunk 2G into an engine rebuild but tossed all the receipts. How can you prove it if you haven't got all the receipts for parts and labor? It always helps to be able to provide documentation for potential buyers. In most cases you won't get back what you sunk into the truck unless its a totally stock rebuild and the buyer is a hardcore "original" fanatic.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #4
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Well there are alot of factors that can determine price. As to it being worth twice what you paid for it is it twice as nice when you bought it? As to parts if you replaced parts that needed to be replaced (such as worn out parts etc.) to bring the truck up to a normal condition then chances are you will not gain anything from the parts. Chances are you will not gain the full price you pay for paint either. Basically it boils down to what trucks in your area are going for. I have seen some people pay a fortune for trucks like these that are total junk and pay little for nice ones. I guess the best thing is not to spend more on the truck then you can get out of it in your area. I mean its hard for the average person to want to plunk down 10,000-12000 for trucks this old unless they are a fan of them.