The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Opinion on Gas Line Replacement

I got the bug to clean up the rubber gas line on BB . I'm running the EB 1411 and an electric fuel pump , I need to get to where the original fuel pump was . I was thinking of making a new line ,or using Summit or Russell SS braided with all the assorted fittings , I'm leaning toward trying to make one out of Aluminum or steel tubing . I've got a flaring tool and 3/8 tubing bender .
Would like to know what would be the best way to go ?
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,

Last edited by Bill72BB; 03-21-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Opinion on Gas Line Replacement

i also need to run new lines in my truck (supply + return) for the new rear tank, pump and LS1 upgrade - so i want to add on to your questions...

is it better to buy a 15'-20' pre-made braided hose with -4 or -6 AN fittings and tuck it inside the framerail, or to actually bend your own lines?

for ~$110 i can get a single pre-made braided line from Aeromotive or some other company...or I can bend steel lines to run most of the way and use braided "patch" cables to run from the line to the filter, then to the regulator, then to my fuel rails. which is recommended?

Is there some clip (got a part #?) which will hold bent lines to hte inside of the framerail? anyone got a map that shows default locations for these clips?

also, is it recommended to ONLY run the lines inside the framerail for protection?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-21-2006 at 12:35 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

I don't know that there's a "best way". My general feeling is that run a hard line wherever you can for durability and safety. I'd sure keep it inside the frame rails, but that's just me.

On my '72, I cut the hard line in the frame rail about 2' back, put on an AN-4 (1/4" line) tube nut, AN-4 to AN-10 reducer, Aeromotive filter, AN-10 line to the Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump and then AN-6 (probably should be an -8) up to the carb.

IMHO, I'd run a hard line as far forward as you can, then buy N feet of -6 or -8 and the required ends and make up the rest of the lines.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Bowtie67

For mainly expenses the Steel line is far better, I also think it's much cleaner looking than doing all the braided stuff. Also not that braided lines etc are bigger and if your using stainless or steel braided expect your fingers to look like ground beef if your not careful. As far as whats better, I think steel is way easier to setup and less chances of leakage, I have fought to many oil/fuel/trans/brake leaks using braided lines and specialty fittings. They do look nice though.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

fortunately for me, they just opened a Summit store here in Atlanta (maybe a little ways south of town from here). definitely need to make a parts run one of these weekends.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

When making the steel line do you single or double flare it ?
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Bowtie67

Gas/trans lines only need single flair, brake lines should be double flair
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
i also need to run new lines in my truck (supply + return) for the new rear tank, pump and LS1 upgrade - so i want to add on to your questions...

is it better to buy a 15'-20' pre-made braided hose with -4 or -6 AN fittings and tuck it inside the framerail, or to actually bend your own lines?

for ~$110 i can get a single pre-made braided line from Aeromotive or some other company...or I can bend steel lines to run most of the way and use braided "patch" cables to run from the line to the filter, then to the regulator, then to my fuel rails. which is recommended?

Is there some clip (got a part #?) which will hold bent lines to hte inside of the framerail? anyone got a map that shows default locations for these clips?

also, is it recommended to ONLY run the lines inside the framerail for protection?
You can get through Summit I believe a 20' steel tubing, going the braided way is pretty expensive, if its not going to be a show truck go with steel, easier to tuckup & away. Also you will need minimum 3/8 to injection & 5/16 return, You can get all different sizes of steel tubing, just do a search for steel tubing and it will put you right there. Flairing ends at first is a pain but is actually pretty easy once you do a few. setting up braided stainless lines can add up quick, figure about $2+ an inch Plus add on any elbows/fittings etc.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

Old 03-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
john
member #16

Personally I will only use double flares for extra strength. All of the factory fuel and trans cooler lines are double flared. John
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
neonlarry

Braided line is still rubber tubing, plus braided can be a pain in the a$$ to keep looking pretty. Go steel.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill72BB
When making the steel line do you single or double flare it ?
Single - note that an AN flare is 37 degrees.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Does anyone have a recommended AN single/double flaring and also a bending tool to use? any tips on flaring and bending lines?

i'm just wondering what i should buy in that regard.

also, any word on frame clips? Is there some special frame clip that will hold down gas lines?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Bowtie67

I only posted only needed flaring, I usually do double flaring on all my lines.

Shifty most automotive parts places have flaring tool kits, I dont even think you can find a single ended flaring tool. Pipe benders are also common in most autoparts stores, as well you will also need a small tubing cutter something that can cut at least 3/8 tubing, also dont get one of those little micro jobs they are a pain in the a$$, they work ok if you have to get into tight areas to fix a line. Youu can also pickup a desent tubing cutter at most hardware stores that sell plumbing supplies.

Here is a tubing bender I use and works well, usually covers 3/8, 5/16, 3/16, 1/4.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

This is the micro tubing cutter

37 degree flaring tool

Double Flaring tool

Most flaring tools will have directions in them to do flaring. If you need a little more I can dig mine out and snap some picks on how to do flaring, I probally have some old tubing around. On the bending it is take your time, dont rush it or you will collapse the line. When laying in a line make sure you are going to have enough, kind like running wire you dont want to come up short. but like wire you can splice..
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

Last edited by Bowtie67; 03-21-2006 at 08:19 PM.