The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Psycho71

Question Rear End Questions?????

OK, I am going to have to do some rear end work I guess. I was puttiing the new Track Bar in my newly aquired '71 longbed today. I noticed grease on the inside of the driver's rear wheel/tire. At first glance I thought, "OK, busted wheel cylinder, no problem". Then I looked closer after finishing the track bar and could "see" the drum off-center of the backing plate(?). So I jacked up the truck and low and behold, the bearing is out. "Gone" to be more specific. Evidently it has been that way for some time. I just got the truck a couple of weeks ago, and just drove it 1/2 mile to my house. Lucky I had to replace the track bar.

Anyway, I am very mechanically inclined and will do this project myself. I am thinking about changing the ring and pinion, while I'm in there, to 3:73, thinking about it so far. I have yet to get any numbers off of the housing to ID the rear end. I know it is a 12 Bolt, but not the series#. My questions are;

"No Ratio Change"
Is there a website or piece of literature that will have a complete exploded view?

Is it going to be possible to replace the outer bearing w/o disturbing the ring and pinion?

Do you feel it might have damaged the ring and/or pinion?

Any special parts or tools that will be needed? Aside from the Bearings and Seals (and of course, all of the brake parts it ruined)?

"W/New Ratio Gears"

Should I even attempt this myself? I do A/C work. Can presently rebuild any part of this truck except Trans. and Rear End. If I can take it apart I CAN put it back together. I just know there are tips/tricks to anything this specialized.

Any literature or tutorials available? I am not inclined to do this (new gears) until I can find some thing of the sort.

This will be the first of many major projects with this truck. I pride myself on doing whatever I can, myself. And plan on doing everything but the tranny myself if I can. Any help anyone can offer on this topic is more than welcome. I do not need the truck as a daily driver so response time, or the truck's down time, is not ctritical, just that I get it done right.

Thanks again,
Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 03-21-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
rodnok1

Re: Rear End Questions?????

"No Ratio Change"
Is there a website or piece of literature that will have a complete exploded view?
Any good overhaul manual has diagrams
Is it going to be possible to replace the outer bearing w/o disturbing the ring and pinion?
Yes
Do you feel it might have damaged the ring and/or pinion?
Only one way to check, but since the bearing tapers towards outside I'd say no, however the carrier may be damaged since that's what the axle slids into
Any special parts or tools that will be needed? Aside from the Bearings and Seals (and of course, all of the brake parts it ruined)?
Not for simple bearing change, hard part is getting the race out of the axle tube, clean everything well

"W/New Ratio Gears"

Should I even attempt this myself? I do A/C work. Can presently rebuild any part of this truck except Trans. and Rear End. If I can take it apart I CAN put it back together. I just know there are tips/tricks to anything this specialized.
Sure why not, I rebuilt my first rearend at 15. Richmond has excellent instructions. I would replace all the guts if you go this route, all bearings and swap in a posi while you're at it. You can get install kits.
The gear setup(mesh) is critical for long life of gears, I set mine up using dial indicator with mount, calipers and few other tools. It takes some time to get it right, but not that difficult.

Any literature or tutorials available? I am not inclined to do this (new gears) until I can find some thing of the sort.
Richmond website has alot of info, might want to check aurburn gear and eaton web sites
This will be the first of many major projects with this truck. I pride myself on doing whatever I can, myself. And plan on doing everything but the tranny myself if I can. Any help anyone can offer on this topic is more than welcome. I do not need the truck as a daily driver so response time, or the truck's down time, is not ctritical, just that I get it done right.
It would be a good project, just know that if you cannot get it setup correctly you can always take it to a shop, I took my first one to a shop and they set the mesh a little better than I had it.
Thanks again,
Jay[/QUOTE]

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
cdowns

if it's as bad as you say you might just need a new rearend housing so before ordering up a bunch of expensive parts i'd find out FIRST if the housing is rebuildable
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 03-21-2006 at 09:14 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
carl609

make sure to look at the axle shaft where the bearing rides, check for pitting or any other scoring. setting up a rearend is easy after you have done a few. The first one takes a while to get everything right. I would buy an install kit and upgrade to posi as the others posted.

If the axle bearing is totally gone and it is just the race left, it can be a pain to get it out. I use a die grinder with a rotary file bit. Just grind it until it is real thin and then hit it with a a chisel. If you gound it enough it should split and then you can slide it out. just be carefull not to screw up the housing. good luck.
carl609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Psycho71

Thanks Fellas,

I went out and did some further investigation. At this point I'm sure it has damaged the housing where it holds the bearing. From the way it looks the housing itself holds the bearing, and that IS out of round (on top) from where it was driven after the bearing took a vacation. There is a little ring still dangling on the axle, I assume it is the outer race from the bearing itself. I'm sure now that a whole new rear end is on the menu. Anyone need any parts?

Thanks for all the tips so far. I still might get to use the advice depending on what gear the new one has. I think I'm gonna start looking for some swap-meets in the D/FW metromess and see what I can find. Any other advice on finding a rear end?

Will keep y'all posted

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote