The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #26
cstanley

Re: Cheap dash rebuild (with pics)

when you apply the gauges, does the vinyl cover all of the gauges and painted black tin, or only the gauge proper and then you have to paint the gauge tin white?

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #27
CrazyJdub

Hey, Just curious about the gauges. If you order the white on black, are the ticks and numbers white and the rest black. Or do you have to paint the numbers and stuff? And also has anyone used the neon wire they have for sale on the site? looks nice just wondering how well it works
CrazyJdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #28
jimmydean

The gauge faces are a white sticker with the tic marks on them, then you paint the tin that goes over them white as well (like the white you see where the tach should be, or the bottom of the battery gauge).

The numbers for the speedo are printed in a green color on the lens (stock, not done by me). I will try and get a night shot, it looks great in the dark with just new bulbs. The LED's might be cool too.

I have plans to mold new door panels with fake carbon inserts and some amp rack enhancements in carbon as well. I will tie the carbon into the interior, but try not to get carried away with it.

Thanks for the good remarks. I never know how people will take me defacing my poor truck. I am trying to take a modified stock approach to the build.

Last edited by jimmydean; 03-28-2006 at 06:46 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #29
CrazyJdub

Sounds cool. How long did it take to do the gauges? Where'd ya get teh carbon fiber stuff? Ive been tryin to track some down for the past day or so and cant find any. Was thinkin of doin the inside of glovebox and kickpanels with it.
CrazyJdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
jimmydean

The whole thing took about 8 hours or so. The gauge faces and carbon were off ebay. I will get some more carbon for the rest of the interior, it's only a few bucks a foot.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote