The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Mechdawg

Power steering lines

Hey all I just got my pressure line for my power steering. I have a 67 that I installed a power steering gearbox on I ordered a line from a 72 but the line installs kinda funny and dosnt look right. Does anyone have a pic of theirs I could see for reference. Thanks
Mechdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Power steering lines

http://satellitehead.com/uploads/ps_hose%20001.jpg

left-hand side goes into the box, I think the right hand side goes to the pump.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-31-2006 at 11:03 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Mechdawg

Ok mine dosnt look like that at all. One end on mine is bent at a 90 and the other end is almost completely straight.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Those lines come in a lot of different configurations. I have got several in my parts pile and they are all different. The 90 degree bend always goes into the steering box. The 90 degree end is made to go underneath the fender well and come out over the frame rail then the other end routes into the pump. My 67 has the same hose as yours but I don't know what year it came from as it was on there when I bought the truck. I saw a pair of stainless braided hoses at a swap meet that I really liked that would work on anything since they are fully flexible and they have the right fittings for the box. They were $125 though so I passed. I checked advanced auto parts and they had a stock one for less than $20.00. They had to order it and so I didn't get it cause I didn't know what year to go by. I am going to go to a hydraulic shop and get one made. VV

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Mechdawg

I know you cant get one for the 67 since it had a hydraulic assist ram not the gearbox so when I got mine from pep boys I just asked for lines for a 72. The only real problem with mine is the straight end wont fit into the pump its to long and straight it hits the motor mount tower. Is there any way I can bend the line without kinking it?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

If it's a steel line, I have been told you can use a fuel line/brake line bender to reshape the line.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote