The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
72armyswbtruck

Powder Coat Question

Ok, I am getting ready to put center drops back on my truck and want to have them powder coated first, is this a good idea and will it last or will it burn off.
Second,
I want to use POR-15 for my truck frame and want to use silver anyone ever use this color before? If so any pics?
Thanks Michael
Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: Powder Coat Question

Anyone?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
jimmydean

I have a high temp powder that cures at 400 degrees, but is good to 1700 degrees. As far as I know, it only comes in flat black, but I think other colors will be out soon. I've used it on headers and manifolds without issues, that would be your best bet.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
70rs/ss

POR 15 makes a cast grey color for manifolds, and it holds up to the heat.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
JIMS1972STEPSIDE

I have used the Black POR-15 on the frame of one of my Vettes and I really like the way it turned out and the stuff is "self leveling". I would send a pic but the car is in the shop for a brake job. Just don't get the stuff on anything you don't want it to come off of. Once its on, it is on there for good!
1985 WHITE S-10 BLAZER AUTO
1998 WHITE S-10 4WD PICKUP AUTO
2006 SILVER H-D DYNA LOW RIDER
JIMS1972STEPSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Silver POR is real sensitive to UV sun light. It turns a green shade and kind of dull. You will get a much better job in Silver, if you can use/shoot something like automotive enamel with a catalyst/hardener.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
72armyswbtruck

Wow, I didn't know that about the silver, that is what I bought to use, I am only using a paint brush to put the POR-15 on. Any more suggestions on how to seal it and keep it from fading since I can't spay it on. Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I`d do ceramic-coating.It is a powdercoat,but made for headers/manifolds and meant to insulate.Black or silver

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
gfcsteve

there are many colors available in hi temp powders and ceramic coatings.we have been appling these finishes in our shop for many years now and as far a the powder goes it holds up pretty good but has a lower temp rating than the ceramic. if your engine is stock and tuned right the powders will work fine, if it is a performance engineyou may want to think about the ceramic coatings. special-k ceramic coating is not a powdercoat it is a liquid that has to be baked on.
gfcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
72armyswbtruck

Super nice, what a way to go, ceramic powder coating
Old 03-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
chevymad

Check this stuff out. Havent tried it yet but looks real nice and price is reasonable. Goes on with a touchup spray gun, but you need an oven to bake it.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1152...5erfrg5467.htm

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Ok,guess I assumed it was powdered since thats how porcelin is done(flakes)and the industrial-coaters use so much powder.Thanks,I never asked them that mush about it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
jimmydean

Pendry Powder Coatings sells a "Chrome Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC)". I have gotten a lot of powder from them in the past and George is always helpful. I haven't tried this yet, but I will be very soon when I have my new exhaust built.

Link
Info from the link:
Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC’s) are designed to reduce the movement of heat. In some instances, such as exhaust systems, you want to keep the heat within the part. In combustion chambers you want to use the heat generated by combustion to push down on the piston rather than bleed off into surrounding surfaces. Due to continued testing we are learning that simple thermal barrier action is not the only characteristic that is important. In fact certain TBC’s will move an engine into detonation. TBC coatings can be made from a variety of materials. Ceramics get the most attention, though there are other materials that are superior in specific applications. The proper choice is critical to the overall function of the coating. Pendry Powder Coatings (PPC) makes available a full range of exhaust system coatings that can be applied at home. TECH LINE COATINGS, INC. offers the most technologically advanced coatings on the market. These coatings include the most popular type of coating in use today, a metallic ceramic. These coatings are the same products being applied by professional coating shops and give the individual the opportunity to benefit from this advanced technology at both a cost and time savings. For those who do not wish to do their own coating work, or wish to have TECH LINE specialty coatings applied, PPC service coatings can apply them for you.----- (APPLICATION ).... Air Brush or Touch up paint gun . Sandblast with aluminum oxide or fine silica sand. DO NOT USE GLASS BEAD!!! This is a Water based coating. Spray at 40 to 60 psi. with moisture separator attached to gun .Chrome Ceramic may be polished by hand using extra fine steel wool (0000) followed by a polishing compound. You can also use glass bead at 25 psi to achieve a shinny (Chrome) finish. Requires curing part(s) at 500 degrees for 1 hour.

Last edited by jimmydean; 04-01-2006 at 01:11 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote