The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Daubs

AC -- Restore, update or ditch it?

My 72 K-20 has air-cab and what looks to be factory air. I purchased as-is and it's missing condencer (and maybe other parts). It's a mut truck (frame, running gear from 4x4, body from Camper Special 4x2).

Wondering what to do with my AC. Some options:

1. Fix existing system and take it back to original condition, or close to original. Could cost me some serious $$$. What about coolant issues?

2. Replace with aftermarket system. Might be less $$.

3. Take out all together. Possibly sell my parts(?).

Tell me what you think...here are some pics.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: AC -- Restore, update or ditch it?

It looks fairly complete, but if it has ben open for a while there are quite a few issue. The drier, the lines etc that will have to be replaced but what type of refridgerant will you use.
A good complete aftermarket system can be bought for around 900 to 1000 bucks...........

Last edited by qksilver; 04-19-2006 at 05:22 PM.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
cstanley

yep, you've got an original system. unless you're going for a concourse-correct truck (which you aren't since it's such a mutt) ditch the system and go with a vintage air or old air unit. my system currently works (no freon) and i'm going to ditch it for a more efficient, colder, harder-blowing vintage air unit.
see this post: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=193544
and this one: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=195178 (i had asked the same question.)

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cstanley; 04-19-2006 at 02:27 PM.
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
DEFIANT NCC-74205

You can get a condensor from LMC or other places. I actually fitted a condensor from a mid eighties chevy van in my 69 Blazer. A drier can be purchased from most auto parts suppliers. There is a new product on the market called Duracool. They can be found on the internet. It is colder than R-12 or 134. It is dirt cheap, and you don't need a license to buy it. I work in a resto shop and I do a lot of A/C work. Flushing out the lines won't really be necessary, but I would definately put in a new drier unit. Where's the compressor? Is that's what's missing? Those compressors are still pretty easy to find in some yards. Mine came off of an old Malibu. Also Sanden makes a nice little compressor and brackets that will bolt up to your engine if you want to take that route. Looks like everything else is there. You are looking at a lot of work in removing the old system and putting in an aftermarket job that has a much smaller evaporator to handle the job. Looks like you have 75% of the parts right there. Send me a P.M. if you want some help with this. I had 2 other guys look at this thread with me and they agree that keeping the old system is easier and not that expensive to get working. Good luck, Jon
DEFIANT NCC-74205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Daubs

Thanks everyone! Good information here, as usual. I'm still debating what direction I want to take with this truck. Right now it looks like I've got a blown head gasket or cracked block. Need to pull the engine and have a look (I know, don't need to pull engine to check gasket, but thought I would take this opportunity to get the engine out and have look at her). Options:

a) Total restore...tear her down to frame, remove all rust, start painting and replacing parts. Make her look really cool...not show quality cool, but all painted and looking good. Drive the heck out of it!

b) Fix rust and paint her. And get interior and mechanical stuff working well...then, well, drive the heck out of it!

c) Just get engine running again and drive the heck out of it as is.

It sits outside my house, so part of me doesn't want to make it too good looking...and get her stolen. And it's nice to have an older truck around that I don't mind throwing stuff in the back. I'm still torn.

If I can get the original AC working well, that would be nice. Vintage Air sounds good, but lack of cold-air intake concerns me. Hmmmm....decisions, decisions, decisions...