The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
revedup57truck

Question Should I use a torsion bar suspension?

Hey guys! I read somewhere that if you didnt want to replace your front end with a "clip" that you could use the torsion bar system for suspension, like the didnt on the 70's Plymouths.
Has anyone heard of this or tried it or know if it works and how hard it is. I am very new at this restore thing and this sounds appealing over the thought of cutting my truck frame and clipping it. Any advice would be great! thanks!
revedup57truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Should I use a torsion bar suspension?

It has been done but its an ugly hack. There are far better suspensioins with far less effort to install. Fatman MII weld on kit or bolt on kit or RBsobsolete.com has a bolt on clip that uses impala parts.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
qksilver

I remember, barely, during one of those all night google searches that there was a kit for that swap. Gibbons fiberglass in SC comes to mind........I would look for you but once I start I can't stop.
Just say NO!
You have a lot of options depending on time, money, skills and money
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
revedup57truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver
I remember, barely, during one of those all night google searches that there was a kit for that swap. Gibbons fiberglass in SC comes to mind........I would look for you but once I start I can't stop.
Just say NO!
You have a lot of options depending on time, money, skills and money
well,qksilver, as ususal I have little of all 3. I just thought it would be alot simplier,less time consuming and cheaper to put a torsion bar suspension system rather than cutting and clipping the front end. Got any tips? Thanks1
Old 04-15-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
qksilver

gibbonfiberglass.com
My memory wasn't as bad as I thought. I checked the site out and they have all the brackets to do what you want. I didn't see a price list, check it out.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I have done volare clips in the past and they do not have to look like hack jobs. That is just someone that does not have any fab skills if you make them look like hack jobs.
Pros- it is one of the easiest install to do, you do not have to cut your frame in two, the ride is nice, and you don't have to worry raditator support and sheetmetal relocation
Cons-you can not airbag, parts (harder to find), you have to offset your engine to the passenger side a little bit to clear the bulky power steering unit.

If were you I would go with a Mustang II of some sort it just is a more flexable unit and gives you more options. A GM clip will do that also but its a hell of a lot more work.

Plus to really drop it in the weeds you need to buy the expensive drop spindles to maintain the nice ride.

Here is a pic of a volare I did before I decided to give it to a friend and go with a mustang II (I might want to airbag somebay) I like having options.

Last edited by Kabwe; 04-18-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
revedup57truck

Hey Kabwe, thanks but I could open your link?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Go here its done on a ford truck but its the same concept. http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...ip/volare.html
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote