The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
jdmaffeo

Exhaust work

I am looking for a place to put on a dual exhaust from my headers back on a 84 Stepside in the Dallas area. I want it to dump before the rear axel. Anyone know of a good place to go? I have removed all the pollution control stuff and don't have any cats and I have heard that no one will touch it with out cats, but there are none there. It will be regestered in East Texas where there is no emmisions testing. Thanks!
jdmaffeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Wild83C10

Re: Exhaust work

You can always buy the universal exhaust systems from Summit made by Flowmaster or Summit. Mandrel bends and plenty of pipe to make a full exhaust. I will be install a 3" kit on mine in a couple of weeks. They have 2.25 to 3.5 inch kits I believe and they are pretty cheap.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
jdmaffeo

Thanks for the information! I have 3 inch mufflers already, but I don't have any welding capabilities where the truck is at so I need to trailer it because it is so loud. The renatal fee just adds to the exhaust fee! Such a simple job, but when you don't know anyone it stinks! Once the exhaust is on I only have a fan setup to figure out and then I can drive it!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Wild83C10

Yeah that is tough. The only part you really need to weld would be the flange to the header and the flange to the exhaust tubing the rest could be clamped together. Have you welded before? You can possibly rent a welder or even buy a welder for what you will pay for a decent exhaust job. A welder is like the best possible tool to have anyway.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

In Texas, the law says that the exhaust shop cannot remove a functioning cat converter. If you removed it yourself, technically, it's you that did wrong.

The muffler shop can put whatever pipes on there you request as long as you don't ask them to break the law by removing the converter.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Prerunner1982

i dont know about in Texas, here in oklahoma i had a muffler blow in half and went to get it fixed and they told me they couldnt work on it because the cat had been removed by the P.O. I told them thats fine if you dont want my business... either way i am still illegal.. either they get my money and put a muffler on even though i dont have a cat, or i run around with no muffler and no cat... they fixed it.. and have done work for me since, but now we dont have inspections...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982
i dont know about in Texas, here in oklahoma i had a muffler blow in half and went to get it fixed and they told me they couldnt work on it because the cat had been removed by the P.O. I told them thats fine if you dont want my business... either way i am still illegal.. either they get my money and put a muffler on even though i dont have a cat, or i run around with no muffler and no cat... they fixed it.. and have done work for me since, but now we dont have inspections...
any of the local shops around me will do what you want them to do,
Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
84slopwaggin

Man, I can't believe in texas you don't have good muffler shops. Here in Ar we have several to choose from that will do custom exhaust. My guess is what the law don't know won't hurt'em. Now you still run into the occassional butt head, but thats to be expected. None of them here will cut the cat off, but most of them send you only as far as another block to cut the cat off and you return and it's done. Oh yeah I drove my truck from my house to the muffler shop with open headers and all I can say is OOOH BOOOY!!!
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

When I was in Wylie (East of Plano) I used the local muffler shop there. He installed my X pipe that I had brought and my flowmasters I also brought. He had no problems installing it. Took him a couple hours since he had to wait for the open headers to cool off.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
jdmaffeo

Thanks for all of your replies! I am now thinking about ordering the catco cats and the parts that bolt to the collectors from summit and avoiding driving/calling all over town to get this done. Have any of you ever used this brand of cats before? It is possible that I can drive it to my house and weld it up myself, but I can't make the bends in the pipe that I will need to get over the transmission crossmember on the drivers side. I am also wanting to do a x-pipe if there is room. There is just a lot of work and with no lift it will be too much work! I would rather drop a $100 (if I'm lucky) in labor and be done!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
Chevrolet4x4s

They start to clog up really easy. Had one on a 88 Olds Delta 88 (not mine) at the votech recentally installed (it was running a little strange mystery hesitation ) but it was beginning to clog so a pry bar a sledge hammer and a little time we had an overpriced resanator.If you can get away with it dont put them back on ti winn hurt your performance.You can get header mufflers for like 20 bucks out of Summit .....so no shipping they bolt right to the collector.So you could either have a good sounding $40 exhaust system or have pipe added to them have a more expensive but still good sounding exhaust system
Hope this helps
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
84slopwaggin

In my opinion the compression and choice of cam will determine if that setup will sound good or not. I havent enjoy that setup on a stock motor, but when you combine it with a motor with say 11 or 11.5 to 1 and up with a nice lumpy cam it will put a smile on your face. just my .02's.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Chevrolet4x4s

Ofcorse I'm a redneck so glasspacks on anything that has eight cylinders sounds good to me.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote