The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Gator70

Rebuilding with #matching ??

I have a dilemma, I have a 2nd owner 70 K15 GMC, the truck only has 60K on it but needs some tlc. I am stuck between rebuilding the stock motor/tranny to keep all of the original #'s together, or dropping in a crate rebuild. I wont be selling this truck or making it a trailer queen, but will be making it very pleasing to the eye. I like the sentimental value of having all the original parts kept with the truck, i was also told by my grandad(original owner) that the motor is a stock 300hp 350. Have not dug into the block # but the head # didnt show anything fancy. The block was produced Aug/69 by the stamp on the front.

I am also changing the front brakes from drum to disc and am wrestling with the same situation(change out whole front end vs modifing original)

Any thoughts??

2014 Denali 1500 6.2L
Gator70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Exclamation Re: Rebuilding with #matching ??

Gator,
build it to make yourself happy, if it was a super rare vehicle i'd say keep it original but you're making it a driver so as long as it's not cut/welded/butchered, it can always be brought back to stock as long as keep the original parts. i'm doing a 72 K20 cheyenne purchased new by my uncle and i'm building it to suit me, it'll still be his truck but personalized the way i want it---the way i would have ordered it back in 72. have fun
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
1969k10stepside

Re: Rebuilding with #matching ??

Well,I am switching engines and switching to disc on my 69 k10.If everything
else would be original I would leave the original stuff on it.Do you have the money to rebuild the engine?Who really cares if it has a disc brake front axle.
Only you and people who know better would think it would have came with disc.If nothing was wrong,you just wanting disc brakes,I would keep that axle
and save money.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think trucks ever had "matching numbers" on the original engine or trans. The dress number, stamped onto the block [just behind the distributer on the L6] refers to plant/ date of assembly/ and a 2 or 3 letter group. Example: F0626UH = Flint, Mich. [06] June, 26th, UH = '67 & '68 292s. My original engine is dress-stamped, F0627XAE. I can't find a translation of XAE. Might mean 'exchange under warranty' if the original 292 was a lemon. That's only a guess.
Anyway, the advantage to rebuilding the original equipment is that you KNOW it will all fit. Also you can rebuild it to your needs and specifications. You will have the satisfaction of knowing it's the original engine.
The disadvantage may be that it might be cheaper to drop in a Goodwrench crate motor and save a lot of hassle assembling an engine -- unless you're like a lot of nuts on this forum who actually enjoy that sort of thing. Myself included.
As far as switching out the front axle-- I have a '71 K1500 Jimmy w/Dana 44 and discs, and a '67 K/10 Sub with stock Corp 10-bolt front and drum brakes -- and the difference is noticeable. Stopping the suburban was like Fred Flintstone. I had to pick the least objectionable target I was gonna hit. I intend to R&R the K/10's front with a dana 44 + discs from a '77 Blazer. Definately a good move.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-23-2006 at 04:39 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
qksilver

You can swap the drums for disc's , you don't have to swap the whole axle. Use stock parts
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote