The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
BigMike

Help with Tweeter location

Hey guys, I am having trouble with a good location for my Boston 2" Pro series tweeters. I was ALMOST thinking of molding them under the wing window and painting the grille to match my truck OR countersinking them into custom pods on the outsides of the heater ducts on the top part of the dash. Only thing is, I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY HOLES. I have already replaced my "HOLE" dash once before and I don't want to ruin it. I thought about fabricating a pod to go on either side in the top corner of the windshield...I don't know what to do. I know some have put them in the kick panels, but you lose so much of the highs that way (the Mids will go down there). Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe seen ones that were mounted in a cool place?

I also thought about modifying the ducts on the top of the dash...half of them would be designated for the heat/air conditioning with the other half going to the tweeters in some kind of custom pod hidden under the dash, this way the sound will come from the vents. The only issue I see there is the hot/cold damaging the tweeters over time. I'm at a loss here.

Any pictures or ideas would be appreciated.

Peace,

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
4x4Bowhunter

Re: Help with Tweeter location

I have a set of infinity component systems with separate woofer/tweeter setup. I will see if I can post pictures when I return, but the solution I used was installing aftermarket kick panels. The panels were formed to house a standard 6.5 in speaker, but not with a separate tweeter location.
What I did was go to my local fiberglass repair store (which also supplies 'plastic-make your own' products) and purchased plastic glue. This glue is an acetone-solvent based liquid. It basically bonds plastic together by 'welding' (melting) the individual pieces together.
My tweeter speakers came with plastic mounting brackets that were originally intended to mount in doors/etc. I took those plastic brackets and visually mounted them in an acceptable manner, mounted the speakers in them, then welded the whole assembly onto the kick panel, above the 6.5 in mounting location.
I know component speakers would, in a perfect world, would be better off placing the tweeters further away from the woofers. But I, like you, did not want to hack/cut anything.

As a side note, I built my own glove box using 3/8" ABS molded plastic using this same glue. My glove box houses my radio and is custom fit to the truck. This glue really works!

Like I said, I’ll try to post pictures later this week.
4x4Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
KFreddy

Re: Help with Tweeter location

Check this thread...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193738
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote