The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
671blazer

Paint Job question.

"my neighbor had his 71 camaro painted at MAACO a few years ago. He did all the body work himself, and took just the shell over to them. Turned out real nice. real glossy, not fading, no runs real smooth too. I mean if he didnt tell me i would assume he had it done a "real" paint shop. he did tell me that he had it done without the "sealer" not shure what that means but i am tempted to take my k5 over there. cost him 599.00 and about 175.00 in quality body work materials." anyone out there have any experience with MAACO or EARL SHEIB? ive heard all the horror stories anyone have a good experience? my neighbors camaro is looking real good. and at 600 dollars REAL TEMPTING!!!!
2000 Buick Lesabre on 20's
671blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

Re: Paint Job question.

I think they just dont have 1/3-1/2 the life of a "real" job. Yea they probably look pretty nice for a couple years though. I think i remember a body shop instructor saying this. of corse the body work they do (if any) is questionable too so getting it as ready as possible yourself and knowing what you're doing probably 'don't hurt.
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
makovai

if you do good body work and prep the car (meaning take everything off you dont want painted) it can come out nice. I had a 1969 datsun 510 that cost me $149 earl scheib paint job and it was impressive. But i did everything for them but paint it.

BTW that was 20 years ago, so it would be prolly $500 today.
3/4 ton, cross steer, 4 wheel disc brakes
1996 Z71 w/ 35's
makovai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

671 blazer, you get what you pay for. If you prep the vehicle yourself you could probably get a better job that way. Another factor would be to ask them if you could buy some of your own materials that would be of better quality and have them spray that. If they let you, shoot me an email and I will give you some low cost products that you could use and make it look and last better.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
ian villeza

I've had earl scheib paint 5 different cars of mine over the years, All with different results. My experience with them is do your own body work and sanding. I have been very happy overall especially with the $225.00 price.
The color choice has a lot to do with end results, So far the best paint job they did for me was on a 1970 Mercedes painted gloss black, The worst was a metallic blue on my old 65 chevy C-10. They do a great "White" and "red".
Never ever pay for them to do body work, I learned that the hard way.
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
671blazer

i spoke to my neighbor after work. he says he knew the manager and worked out a deal to use his own materials for the paint job. so basically all they had to do was mix and spray. he says he dig up his before and after photos, i will try to post them. i agree with 72CSTC5 on getting what you pay for. but here in the sf bay area with gas at $3.10 a gal for 87, and the median cost of a home nearing 700,000 every penny counts. thanks for the input, i will keep you guys posted.
2000 Buick Lesabre on 20's
671blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
vtblazer

It's all in the prep, sprayings the easy part.

Another option (if your doing your own prep anyway) would be to check with an actual body shop and find out what they'd charge for just the spray.
Might be close in price.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
JMac11

One tale of advice...... I spent 2 weeks prepping a drag car I had built, was so proud of my work. To my dismay, my body man said thanks, but no thanks. I had accomplished about what it would have taken him 2 hours. Probably a little fib, but I got his point. My advice, if you are good a something, other than paint and body work, farm yourself out doing it. That car turned out ok, the next one was fabulous. Same price, no P&B work for me, just assembled and installed an engine in a wrecker for the guy. He was as bad at engine rebuilding as I am at "seeing" high and low spots in a fender.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
tpi72blazer
Tpi72Blazer

[QUOTE=vtblazer]It's all in the prep, sprayings the easy part.

I completely agree with VTBLAZER. It's the prep that makes all the difference. If you don't mind some bondo cracking out in a few years you can have it done cheaper, but if it's a vehicle you are planning on keeping a while, spend a little extra time up front and have the body work done right - you'll be happier in the long run - just my opinion.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

DON'T DO IT

My mother was dating a guy who ran a MAACO, so I got the hook-up
on the price, but not on the work, mine started to peel at the edges
of windows, trim, etc..... (Stuff they taped off but did not remove)

Here's a before and after, BTW it did look pretty BAD ASS for a yr.
Attached Images

Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
orangepunkn

I got a macco job and was happy for a daily driver or something you are going to use they did fine .I did the prep job and for 900 bucks got a base coat and clear coat.so I can have it painted 5 times for the price of 1 good job and be a lot less upset with door dings and scratches
orangepunkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
Swbman

I too agree with you get what you pay for, A couple of years ago one of my brothers had his car painted by Maaco, it had to one of the worst paint Ive seen, even on your cheapest of cheap paint job they at least scuff the original paint so the new paint will at least adhere to the car, the paint started peeling very soon after he got it back.Underneath the maaco paint the original paint still looked like it still had carwax on it,m it was so shiny.. IMO MAACO sucks....